Switch to Different Subfield for Physics PhD: Is it Acceptable?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter quark001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Switch
In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of receiving an offer of admission from a school for a physics PhD position, but wanting to switch to a different subfield of physics and work with a different faculty member. It is mentioned that there is a financial support offer from the school, and it is advised to not worry and feel free to switch if there was no prior contact with the proposed faculty member.
quark001
Last December I applied for physics PhD positions in the US. In my personal statements, I mentioned my research interests as well as specific faculty I'd like to work with. What happens if I receive an offer of admission from a school but decide that I'd prefer to do research in a different subfield of physics, under the supervision of a different person?

More context: I originally wanted to work in theoretical particle physics (experimental as a second choice), but my current MSc research is in gravity and cosmology (theoretical). I'm enjoying it so much that I'd like to switch. How acceptable would this be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably the offer of admission comes from the school, although the particular faculty member may have helped you along in the expectation that you would work with him.

Is there an offer of financial support involved? If so, is that from the school, or is it from/through the particular faculty member you specified?

These are things to think about.

Dr.D said:
Presumably the offer of admission comes from the school, although the particular faculty member may have helped you along in the expectation that you would work with him.

Is there an offer of financial support involved? If so, is that from the school, or is it from/through the particular faculty member you specified?

These are things to think about.

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, there is a financial support offer, and it's from the school, not the faculty member.

Did you receive an e-mail/call/other contact from the faculty you proposed to work with? If not, I'd say you should definitely feel free to switch.

Don't worry about it. This happens all the time.

What are the potential benefits of switching to a different subfield for a physics PhD?

Switching to a different subfield for a physics PhD can expand your knowledge base and skill set, making you a more well-rounded physicist. It can also open up new research opportunities and collaborations, and provide a fresh perspective on your current research interests.

Will switching to a different subfield for a physics PhD negatively affect my career prospects?

In most cases, switching to a different subfield for a physics PhD will not negatively impact your career prospects. Employers and research institutions value diverse experiences and perspectives, and a switch in subfields can demonstrate your adaptability and willingness to learn.

What should I consider before switching to a different subfield for a physics PhD?

Before making the switch, it's important to thoroughly research the new subfield and its current research topics, as well as the faculty and resources available at your intended institution. You should also consider how the switch may impact your timeline for completing your PhD and any potential funding sources.

Is it possible to switch to a different subfield for a physics PhD within the same institution?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different subfield for a physics PhD within the same institution. However, you will need to work closely with your advisor and the department to ensure that you meet all the necessary requirements and have access to the necessary resources.

How can I best prepare for a switch to a different subfield for a physics PhD?

To prepare for a switch to a different subfield for a physics PhD, it's important to have a strong foundation in core physics principles and mathematics. You should also seek out opportunities to gain experience in the new subfield, such as attending seminars or conducting research in a related area. Additionally, it can be helpful to network with researchers in the new subfield and seek their advice and insights.