PhD Topic Change

Is it common for physics grads to change the topic of their research focus (staying within physics) while at graduate school?

Answers and Replies

member659127
I'm not aware of the statistics regarding how common it is however I myself did it. Completed my master on an experimental project and my PhD was completely different subject in computational physics. I was lucky to discuss my differences with my professor at an early stage in PhD and settled the issue by seperating our ways. (I do not regret this decision even once when I turn back and look.) Your own motivation should shape your way.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Is it common for physics grads to change the topic of their research focus (staying within physics) while at graduate school?
Maybe explain how you mean, "grad school" or PhD program.
Did you mean, Masters degree for one topic and then PhD for a different topic? Did you mean, start PhD in one topic but want to change to a different topic?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Why do you need to know, given that you are still in high school? As pointed out "graduate school", "topic', "focus" can mean many things. If you could be clearer in the question, you might get better answers.

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Why do you need to know, given that you are still in high school? As pointed out "graduate school", "topic', "focus" can mean many things. If you could be clearer in the question, you might get better answers.
"You" who? josh0768 is an undergraduate student according to profile page. I already have a degree , something beyond highschool which I already graduated years before that.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
josh0768 is an undergraduate student according to profile page
He's asking about which undergrad schools to attend here and here.