Finding Work in Physics with a PhD: Pros, Cons & Alternatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding work in physics with a PhD, and whether it would be easier to find a job in a different field with a physics degree. The conversation also mentions the importance of specific fields and transferrable skills in employability, and the potential for non-academic jobs in physics.
whalebunt08
I've been hearing a lot of people say on this website that even with a PhD it can be difficult to find work in physics... If I'm not opposed to getting a PhD in physics and then working out of field (consulting, etc), will it likely be easier to find a job? In order to find work out of field, would there be certain classes, minors or even a double major that would help me? Or would it possible/advisable to go to grad school for something other than physics with a physics BA?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've read that, but the statistics don't support it at all. I'd go and find the website right now, but I'm in a rush. I'm pretty certain that >90% of people with a physics PhD work in an area related to physics.

As has been said here many times before, your employability is not so much dependent on whether you have a PhD as it is on what specific field your PhD is in, or what "transferrable skills" you have learned throughout. For example, an experimentalist is more likely to be employed in a physics related job, simply because there are a lot more out there (labs and industry as well as academia). However, it is a lot harder for a theorist to find a job in the field because they are restricted to solely academic jobs.

Still, if you aren't interested in staying in physics then you should easily get a job upon graduation! You should check out Zz's thread on becoming a physicist.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a PhD in Physics?

With a PhD in Physics, you can pursue a career in academia as a professor or researcher, or you can work in industry as a data scientist, engineer, or consultant. You can also find opportunities in government agencies, such as NASA or the Department of Energy.

2. What are the advantages of pursuing a PhD in Physics?

Earning a PhD in Physics allows you to develop advanced research skills, gain expertise in a specific area of physics, and potentially make groundbreaking discoveries. Additionally, having a PhD can open up higher-paying job opportunities in both academia and industry.

3. What are the drawbacks of pursuing a PhD in Physics?

One of the main drawbacks of pursuing a PhD in Physics is the long time commitment, typically 4-6 years. This can result in delayed entry into the job market and potential financial strain. Additionally, the academic job market can be highly competitive and securing a tenure-track position may be difficult.

4. Are there alternative options for physics PhDs who do not want to pursue a career in academia?

Yes, there are alternative options for physics PhDs who do not want to pursue a career in academia. Many industries, such as technology and finance, value the problem-solving and analytical skills gained through a physics PhD. You can also consider pursuing a postdoctoral research position, working in a national lab, or starting your own business.

5. How can I improve my chances of finding work in physics with a PhD?

To improve your chances of finding work in physics with a PhD, it is important to network with professionals in your field, attend conferences and workshops, and gain practical experience through internships or research projects. You should also tailor your resume and cover letter for each job application and highlight your relevant skills and expertise. Additionally, staying updated on industry trends and technologies can make you a more competitive candidate.