Phenol Removal with an equilibrium stage

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem with a multi-stage extraction process. The question at hand is whether the flow ratio between inlet and outlet streams of the second stage is the same as the flow ratio for the first stage. It is clarified that the flow ratio can remain the same for multiple equilibrium stages, but the concentrations of components in the streams may vary. The flow ratio should be calculated relative to the raffinate from the first stage, as it is the feed stream for the second stage. The importance of questioning and verifying findings in scientific work is emphasized.
member 392791

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem here is that it looks like having 2 equilibrium stages requires the same flow ratio as one equilibrium stage, according to my calculations. This seems strange to me, so I am wondering if I am wrong. I also am not sure if it's asking the ratio relative to the raffinate from the first stage, or if it is a ratio of the inlet from the first stage to the raffinate of the second stage.

Attachments

• problem 11.55.docx
    158.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 11.55 attempt 1.pdf
    355.1 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, let me clarify the problem. You are dealing with a multi-stage extraction process, where each stage has a different equilibrium condition. The goal is to determine the flow ratio between the inlet and outlet streams of the second stage, given that the flow ratio for the first stage is known.

Now, to answer your question, it is indeed possible for the flow ratio to remain the same for multiple equilibrium stages. This is because the flow ratio is dependent on the equilibrium conditions, which can vary from stage to stage. In other words, even though the flow ratio remains the same, the concentrations of the components in the streams may change due to the different equilibrium conditions.

As for your second question, the flow ratio should be calculated relative to the raffinate from the first stage. This is because the raffinate from the first stage is the feed stream for the second stage, and the flow ratio is determined based on the inlet and outlet streams of each stage.

I hope this clarifies your doubts. If you have any further questions or need assistance with your calculations, please don't hesitate to ask. As scientists, it is important for us to question and verify our findings to ensure accuracy in our work. Keep up the good work!

1. What is "Phenol Removal with an equilibrium stage"?

"Phenol Removal with an equilibrium stage" is a process used in chemical engineering to remove phenol, a toxic compound found in industrial wastewater, by using an equilibrium stage column. This column separates the phenol from the wastewater through a series of equilibrium stages.

2. How does the equilibrium stage column work in the process of Phenol Removal?

The equilibrium stage column works by creating a series of equilibrium stages, where the phenol and water come into contact and reach an equilibrium. This allows for the phenol to be separated from the water and removed from the wastewater.

3. What are the advantages of using an equilibrium stage for Phenol Removal?

Using an equilibrium stage for Phenol Removal has several advantages. It allows for a more efficient and cost-effective process compared to other methods. It also has a high removal efficiency and can handle large volumes of wastewater.

4. Are there any limitations to using an equilibrium stage for Phenol Removal?

While an equilibrium stage is a effective method for Phenol Removal, it does have some limitations. The effectiveness of the process depends on the concentration of phenol in the wastewater, and it may not be suitable for treating very high concentrations of phenol.

5. What other applications can an equilibrium stage column be used for?

An equilibrium stage column can also be used for other separation processes, such as distillation, absorption, and extraction. It is a versatile tool in chemical engineering and can be adapted for various applications depending on the specific needs.