Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phenomena where it appears to one that they encountered same situation previously

1. Jul 10, 2010 #1
    Some days ago they were playing a movie the plot of which was mainly centered on the phenomena where it appears to one that they have encountered the same situation, state of events previously in their past life. Then, I just watched it for a few minutes, and consulted Wikipedia for the story line.

I don't remember any details about this movie at the present time, details such as the title of the movie, name of the lead actor. I have been unsuccessfully trying to recall the technical term for that psychological phenomena which Wikipedia mentioned. So, could you please help me with this?

phenomena where it appears to one that they have encountered same situation previously

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 10, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Déjà vu?

5. Jul 10, 2010 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the phenomena called when you have the feeling someone else just posted the same post?

6. Jul 10, 2010 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Deja vu?

7. Jul 10, 2010 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Finally, a situation where it is actually appropriate to say that it's deja vu, all over again!

8. Jul 11, 2010 #7
    The minute the term "Deja vi" appeared to my eyes the mind witnessed that it's the very term I was looking for somewhere in the oblivion of my mind. The movie was also titled after it. Thanks a lot.

9. Jul 11, 2010 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've been there...

10. Jul 11, 2010 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I swear I've seen this thread before!

11. Jul 11, 2010 #10
    Yogi Berra quote about a bad play in baseball: "This is like Déjà vu all over again".

12. Jul 11, 2010 #11
    I thought it was called a closed timelike loop.

13. Jul 11, 2010 #12

Is there an echo in here or am I just imagining I've heard this somewhere before?

14. Jul 11, 2010 #13
    I think I remember a thread like this from a while ago.

15. Jul 11, 2010 #14
    This thread is killing me.

16. Jul 11, 2010 #15

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Deja vu?

17. Jul 11, 2010 #16
    I get the strangest feeling I've seen a movie like that before.

18. Jul 11, 2010 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

This is a strange and unique experence, this Deja vu

19. Jul 11, 2010 #18
    Some days ago they were playing a movie the plot of which was mainly centered on the phenomena where it appears to one that they have encountered the same situation, state of events previously in their past life. Then, I just watched it for a few minutes, and consulted Wikipedia for the story line.

I don't remember any details about this movie at the present time, details such as the title of the movie, name of the lead actor. I have been unsuccessfully trying to recall the technical term for that psychological phenomena which Wikipedia mentioned. So, could you please help me with this?

phenomena where it appears to one that they have encountered same situation previously

20. Jul 12, 2010 #19
    Leave it to physics kids to make the same tired joke over, and over again.

21. Jul 12, 2010 #20
    Did you make a correction? Or what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook