Gaining Insight into Scalar Field Theory Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about scalar field theory. The first question addresses the positivity of lambda in the interaction term, with a suggestion to look at the energy of the ground state. The second question asks for the Feynman rules for phi^4 and the vertex, with an explanation of how to obtain it using the 4 point OPI Green function. The conversation also mentions finding the minimum of the function V(phi) and the need to impose a constraint on lambda for the minimum to be 0 or greater. The conversation concludes with a note about using connected Green functions in perturbation theory to derive the other rules.
Kalimaa23
Greetings,

I stumbled across two question that I have no idea on how to answer them.

1) The interaction term in a scalar field theory is [tex]-\frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi^4[/tex]

Why should lambda be positive? (they say look at the energy of the ground state...)

2) Write down the Feynman rules for phi^4

I have no clue as to how you get the two intersecting lines that give is -i lambda vertex. I see where the propagator comes from though.

Any thougths?

Physics news on Phys.org
For #2,the vertex is the 4 point OPI Green function,namely

[tex] (2\pi)^{4}\delta^{4}\left(p_{1}+p_{2}+p_{3}+p_{4}\right)\tilde{\Gamma}_{1}^{(4)}\left(p_{1},p_{2},p_{3},p_{4}\right) =-\lambda (2\pi)^{4}\delta^{4}\left(p_{1}+p_{2}+p_{3}+p_{4}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\Longrightarrow \tilde{\Gamma}_{1}^{(4)}\left(p_{1},p_{2},p_{3},p_{4}\right) =i\cdot \ \mbox{vertex} [/tex]

Consider the function [itex] V(\phi)=\frac{m^{2}}{2}\phi^{2}+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^{4} [/itex].

Get its minimum & see what constraint needs to be imposed on [itex]\lambda [/itex] to ensure the minimum to be 0 or greater.

Daniel.

Last edited:
Great! Thanks alot!

I hope you know how to get the other rules,using the connected Green functions in various orders of perturbation theory.

Daniel.

1. What is scalar field theory?

Scalar field theory is a branch of theoretical physics that studies fields in which the values at each point in space are represented by a single number, known as a scalar. This theory is used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. What is the difference between a scalar field and a vector field?

A scalar field has a single value at each point in space, while a vector field has a direction and magnitude at each point. Scalar fields are used to describe quantities such as temperature or pressure, while vector fields are used to describe quantities such as velocity or force.

3. How is scalar field theory used in physics?

Scalar field theory is used in various areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics. It is used to study the properties and behavior of particles and fields, and to make predictions about their interactions and effects on the surrounding environment.

4. What is a scalar field potential?

A scalar field potential is a mathematical function that describes the potential energy of a scalar field at different points in space. This potential energy is related to the strength of the field and can be used to determine the behavior of particles in the presence of the field.

5. What are the implications of scalar field theory for our understanding of the universe?

Scalar field theory has played a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, particularly in the field of cosmology. It has been used to develop theories such as inflation, which explain the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. It has also been used to study the behavior of dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe.