Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phi^4 theory

1. Jun 12, 2005 #1
    Greetings,

I stumbled across two question that I have no idea on how to answer them.

1) The interaction term in a scalar field theory is [tex]-\frac{\lambda}{4!} \phi^4[/tex]

Why should lambda be positive? (they say look at the energy of the ground state...)

2) Write down the Feynman rules for phi^4

I have no clue as to how you get the two intersecting lines that give is -i lambda vertex. I see where the propagator comes from though.

Any thougths?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For #2,the vertex is the 4 point OPI Green function,namely

[tex] (2\pi)^{4}\delta^{4}\left(p_{1}+p_{2}+p_{3}+p_{4}\right)\tilde{\Gamma}_{1}^{(4)}\left(p_{1},p_{2},p_{3},p_{4}\right) =-\lambda (2\pi)^{4}\delta^{4}\left(p_{1}+p_{2}+p_{3}+p_{4}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\Longrightarrow \tilde{\Gamma}_{1}^{(4)}\left(p_{1},p_{2},p_{3},p_{4}\right) =i\cdot \ \mbox{vertex} [/tex]

Consider the function [itex] V(\phi)=\frac{m^{2}}{2}\phi^{2}+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^{4} [/itex].

Get its minimum & see what constraint needs to be imposed on [itex]\lambda [/itex] to ensure the minimum to be 0 or greater.

Daniel.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  4. Jun 12, 2005 #3
    Great! Thanks alot!

5. Jun 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope you know how to get the other rules,using the connected Green functions in various orders of perturbation theory.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?