1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PHI constant

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    Hi,

In the equation
    y(x,t) = ym * sin(kx - wt - PHI)

I thought I understand why we have that phase constant atleast mathmetically but after thinking about it I don't think I understand it completely like here in my book it says the phase constant moves the wave forward or backward in space or time. Now lets say
    we have wave at t = 0 and x = 0;

we would have y(x,t) = ym * sin(-PHI) that wouldn't really move it forward or backward in space or time if we had y(x,t) = ym + PHI then yeh it would have but I don't see how it would moves it backward or forward in that case ?

I can see how they derived
    y(x,t) = ym * sin(kx - wt) but that PHI keeps confusing me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

You might try sketching a 'snapshot' of the wave (that is a graph of y against x) at t = 0, first for the case [itex]\phi[/itex] = 0, then for the case [itex]\phi[/itex] = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2. The shift (in the x direction) of the wave profile brought about by [itex]\phi[/itex] should then be clear.

The purpose of including [itex]\phi[/itex] is so we have an equation which fits the general case: when y doesn't happen to be zero when x = 0 and t = 0. [An alternative, sometimes permissible, sometimes not, is to choose our zero of time (or of x) expressly to ensure that y = 0 and [itex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} > 0[/itex] when t = 0 and x = 0. Then we don't have to bother with [itex]\phi[/itex].]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook