Is Phi Squared Inflation Compatible with Latest Planck Data?

In summary, the 2-5-15 Planck data release does not rule out the possibility of "phi squared inflation", which is a version of "new" inflation (slow roll) that is within the error bars.
slatts
Looking at blogs about the 2-5-15 Planck data release, I noticed a couple of them claiming that it rules out some of the simplest models of inflation, including one called "phi squared inflation". I can't read the specialized characters in physics notations, but I'm figuring this is the same as "curvature squared inflation". Could someone do me the favor of verifying this, and telling me whether either of them is a version of "new" (AKA "slow roll") inflation or a version of "chaotic" inflation? This would help me keep a layman's grip on the subject, in view of the fact that a February 9th paper endorsed by the Planck organization itself states that the latest data IS compatible with "simple inflationary models". Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
No, it's not the same. Curvature squared inflation models are quite different and well within the error bars, while [itex]\phi^2[/itex] looks disfavored.

Thanks. I've been especially interested in Aguirre & Gratton's attempt to bridge the gap between steady-state and inflationary cosmologies, which was critiqued by Vilenkin in 2013's "Arrows of Time and the Beginning of the Universe", on the web. Vilenkin sees the AG version as compatible with false-vacuum inflation, and also with the BGV Theorem, which requires a beginning for inflation itself, but not necessarily for the multiverse containing it. (He does see the AG multiverse as having a little problem of being "surrounded by singularities", but I'm guessing that would be unavoidable, as the Cauchy surface--which he equates to a three-sphere--would presumably be dual, and consist, at each instant of global time, of a sub-Planck-scale diminishing sphere within a larger expanding one, with a contingent impossibility of any determination as to which they occupy by those dwelling on either.) Is phi squared inflation one of the large-field versions or one of the false-vacuum varieties?

Thanks again, for the LaTex reply. I'm flattered that you thought I'd understand it. Eventually, I was able to figure out that the Greek letter phi--which Wikipedia says means "angle"--stands for the inflaton field. A 2014 piece on a failed attempt to renormalize chaotic inflation that was crawling with phi ^2 [of course, I think of it as fi^2] strongly suggests that chaotic inflation must've been the "simple model" that the blogger in Cambridge felt had gotten ruled out by Planck's data release. That would leave the false-vacuum-compatible AG scenario in the clear. (As you can imagine, I picture the singularities which Vilenkin says "besiege" it to be a handy privacy fence. What's wrong with that?)

slatts said:
Is phi squared inflation one of the large-field versions or one of the false-vacuum varieties?
Large field. Plot it out -- it's the parabola [itex]V \sim \phi^2[/itex] and so it has no false vacuum ([itex]V(0) = 0 [/itex]). The field begins far from the minimum, at a distance of several Planck units at least, and rolls down.

Thanks mucho. I'm amazed to have been right about something.

1. What is Phi Squared Inflation?

Phi Squared Inflation is a theory proposed in cosmology that explains the rapid expansion of the universe in its early stages. It suggests that a scalar field, represented by the Greek letter phi, drove this expansion through a process called inflation.

2. How is Phi Squared Inflation related to the latest Planck data?

The latest Planck data is a collection of measurements and observations from the Planck satellite, which is used to study the cosmic microwave background radiation. Phi Squared Inflation is compatible with this data, meaning that the theory is consistent with the observations made by the Planck satellite.

3. What evidence supports the compatibility of Phi Squared Inflation with latest Planck data?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the compatibility of Phi Squared Inflation with the latest Planck data. These include the consistency of the predicted power spectrum of cosmic microwave background radiation with the observed spectrum, as well as the agreement of the predicted inflationary parameters with the measured values.

4. What are the implications of Phi Squared Inflation being compatible with latest Planck data?

If Phi Squared Inflation is indeed compatible with the latest Planck data, it would provide further support for the theory and its explanation of the early universe. It would also open up new avenues for studying the inflationary period and potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

5. Are there any alternative theories that are also compatible with latest Planck data?

Yes, there are several alternative theories that have been proposed to explain the early expansion of the universe and are also compatible with the latest Planck data. These include the Starobinsky model, the Higgs inflation model, and the chaotic inflation model. Further research and observations are needed to determine which theory best describes the early universe.