Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phil Collins says he's still in touch with his dead father

1. Sep 30, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect to hear Phil objecting to this one:

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_824122.html?menu=news.quirkies

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2003 #2
    This is funny. Maybe if I said I was a medium and told him his grandfather wanted him to give me half his money he'd do it..

4. Oct 1, 2003 #3
    It's funny about the blanket pulling, though. I knew a guy who said this happened to him as a kid, and later I read other accounts of kids experiencing the same thing. I can't figure out if this is some kind of common sleep paralysis hallucination like the Hag, or what.

Regardless, if Phil jumped to the conclusion this was his father's ghost I wonder if he's asked why he would manifest himself in this scary way? Seems cruel.

5. Oct 3, 2003 #4

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, kids never kick off their blankets while they're asleep. It must be a ghost.

6. Oct 3, 2003 #5
    The guy who told me this happened to him said he was completely awake at the time, and that his blanket was ripped off of him from the foot of the bed.

7. Oct 8, 2003 #6

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, but a second-hand memory of a sleep-related event from many years ago is weak evidence, IMO.

Convincing enough for your friend, I'm sure. Anyway, I think empirical evidence would be tough to come by on this and we're stuck with anecdotes.

8. Oct 8, 2003 #7
    You have mistaken my story as an attempt to present evidence that the phenomenon exists. I merely was presenting evidence that reports of it exist, outside the Phil Collins report. I was, additionally, clarifying that it is a more complicated situation than people waking with their covers off and jumping to the whacky conclusion a ghost pulled them off. Kids who experience this report being fully aware while the covers are being removed. I find it intriguing when disparate people report the same atrange things. In my mind it usually is an indicator of a similarity in the way peoples' minds work that we weren't aware of before. I reminds me strongly of the sleep paralysis "Hag" phenomenon.

A very gullable man, he was. This served as the basis of his lifelong belief in ghosts

Which, as they stand, tend to point along the line of one of the many versions of sleep disorder. I would be interested in finding more of these stories (bankets being pulled off) to see if there is any way to account for disparate people having an hallucination with the same basic content.

9. Oct 9, 2003 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am convinced that "ghosts" are a real phenomenon. This comes from some personal accounts from a couple of people that I know very well.

10. Oct 9, 2003 #9
    Things that cannot be explained readily in terms of known phenomena definitely happen.

11. Oct 9, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. Filtering the cons, scams, whackos, and misunderstandings is often hopeless, but then there are times when the truth jumps up and smacks you in the face. When it comes to things ghostly, I reached this point many years ago.

12. Oct 9, 2003 #11
    You see dead people.

13. Oct 9, 2003 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Red people.

14. Oct 9, 2003 #13

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do other people see them, or only when you're alone?

15. Oct 9, 2003 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now don't start on me it was only a joke.

16. Oct 12, 2003 #15

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[/quote]
    In my mind it usually is an indicator of a similarity in the way peoples' minds work that we weren't aware of before.
    [/quote]
    thanks for the clarification, zoob
    I too, find that fascinating.

17. Oct 13, 2003 #16

Tsu

Gold Member

At the beach?

18. Oct 13, 2003 #17
    Is his crappy music not enough of a crime, without this nonsense?

19. Oct 13, 2003 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stayed tuned. He and John Tesh are hosting a seance with John Edwards.

20. Oct 13, 2003 #19
    What do you get when you combine a fake medium with pretend musicians?

21. Oct 13, 2003 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, they're hoping for Elvis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?