Philosophers and personality types

• Thread starter Joeman
  • Start date
In summary: He would understand the situation and the people involved and would be able to come to a conclusion without needing to judge.
Joeman
Hi all, this is my first post.

Do you think a certain personality type is required to be a good philosopher?

For example, here is a description of Jung personality types.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JungType.htm

I think a good philospher is probably introverted. Introverts can learn from spending time alone reflecting from one's own thoughts and experience, which extroverts don't do very well.

I think intuitive thinking is a essential.

Thinkers are preferred over feelers.

Perceiving seems more suitable for philosophers than judging.

Therefore I think the best personality type is INTP. Those who other personality types are probably better off with a different hobby. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just took the test. I am INTP.

Well ideally philosophy would be accessible to most any educated individual but yes it does indeed require introspection and various other traits. Those who have been considered the greatest philosophers have historically been known as eccentric if not hermits. Kierkegaard was crazy. Kant was a recluse. Hegel, was just out there. Marx was belligerant. The list goes on.
*Nico

Nicomachus said:
Kierkegaard was crazy. Kant was a recluse. Hegel, was just out there. Marx was belligerant. The list goes on.

hehe, and Bubblefish is a madman, remember?
:biggrin:

THANOS said:
Just took the test. I am INTP.

Most of us here come out INT-something. I am INTJ.

Well, I will make one exception. Their ideas were for the most part not crazy which is unlike what I wrote of yours. As well, the only one I said was "crazy" was Kierkegaard and I don't take him at all seriously. There is a difference between being a madman and producing absurd rubbish and being a recluse and producing brilliance. You sir are a madman and that is the end of the discourse.
*Nico

Nicomachus said:
Well, I will make one exception. Their ideas were for the most part not crazy which is unlike what I wrote of yours. As well, the only one I said was "crazy" was Kierkegaard and I don't take him at all seriously. There is a difference between being a madman and producing absurd rubbish and being a recluse and producing brilliance. You sir are a madman and that is the end of the discourse.
*Nico

no sir it is not the end of the discourse, sorry.

I assume you once again are referring to OS 012 as 'rubbish' but all you gave it was poor opinionated commentary such as 'rubbish', 'ridiculous', and other such artistic expressions without one objective observation.

You cannot defeat the axioms and propositions that it contains by just saying it is 'rubbish'. Sorry. That is not logical nor rational. And you called me a madman and other such things as proof that OS 012 was 'rubbish', and, your case in point, being a madman, if I am such a thing, does not make it rubbish, nor does your quite incomplete and irrational commentary or approach. You sir, are thinking with your knee jerk reactions and that does not serve you nor does it make for an objective conclusion.

When you do so, in a place of public media, you lie without even realising it...and I would much rather be a madman seeking understanding than a liar claiming to have it...

Moonrat

That's weird being pegged down so accurately, I feel like a machine with a 4 letter program running my life.

INTJ. I think a great philosopher would actually be able to flip his own characteristics in times of need. For example: In a situation you may need to feel things. In another you may need to judge in order to establish any outcome. A great philosopher would have to account for the fact the other personality types are needed as well. He would therefore have to base his theory's on others and to do so he would need to understand how other's think and do as they do.

The characteristics you listed above work fine for a good philosopher. He comes up with the theories and the judging people decide if they are correct. However a superior philosopher may not require any assistance to finalize his theory's.

Last edited:

1. What is the connection between philosophers and personality types?

The connection between philosophers and personality types is that many philosophers have studied and written about different theories of personality. Some philosophers, such as Sigmund Freud, have even developed their own theories of personality. Additionally, philosophers often have different personality traits and characteristics that influence their way of thinking and approaching philosophical concepts.

2. How do personality types affect philosophical beliefs and perspectives?

Personality types can greatly influence a person's philosophical beliefs and perspectives. For example, an individual with a more analytical and logical personality may be drawn to philosophical theories that prioritize reason and logic, while someone with a more intuitive and creative personality may be more interested in philosophical ideas that explore abstract concepts and emotions.

3. Can personality types change over time, and how does this impact philosophical beliefs?

Personality types can change and evolve over time, especially as a person experiences different life events and influences. This can impact philosophical beliefs, as a person's changing personality may lead them to re-evaluate their beliefs and perspectives. It can also influence the types of philosophical concepts and theories that a person is drawn to at different points in their life.

4. Are certain personality types more inclined towards philosophical thinking?

While there is no definitive answer, some studies suggest that certain personality types may be more inclined towards philosophical thinking. For example, individuals with introverted and reflective personalities may be more drawn to contemplative and introspective philosophical ideas, while those with more outgoing and extroverted personalities may be more interested in philosophical theories that focus on social interactions and relationships.

5. How can understanding personality types enhance philosophical discussions and debates?

Understanding personality types can enhance philosophical discussions and debates by providing insight into how individuals approach and interpret different ideas and concepts. It can also help to foster more productive and respectful conversations, as individuals can better understand and appreciate each other's unique perspectives and ways of thinking.