Describing Philosophers A,B,C & D: Beliefs & Insights

• Thread starter Ursole
  • Start date
In summary, A,B,C, and D are four philosophers who have a conversation where they make statements about their own beliefs. Based on the given information, A must be lying when he says "I am insane" because no one can truly believe themselves to be insane. This makes A applied. B is sane and can either be pure or applied. C must be insane because if he is pure, he believes himself to be applied, which is incorrect. D is pure and sane, as he is the only one left after the first round of clues. After analyzing the second set of clues, it can be concluded that A is applied and insane, B is pure and sane, C is pure and insane, and D is pure and sane.
Ursole
You are given that:
Pure philosophers always tell the truth concerning their beliefs.
Applied philosophers always lie concerning their beliefs.
Sane philosophers beliefs are always correct.
Insane pilosophers beliefs are always incorrect.

Four philosophers {A,B,C,D}) have the following conversation:
A - I am insane
B - I am pure
C - I am applied
D - I am sane
A - C is pure
B - D is insane
C - B is applied
D - C is sane

Describe A,B,C, and D.

Physics news on Phys.org
A says "I am insane." Now, no person can really think they're insane. A sane person will know they're sane, and an insane person will incorrectly believe themselves to be sane. Since no person can believe themselves to be insane, A must be lying, so A is applied. At this point, A could be sane or insane.

B says "I am pure." If B is pure, then he really believes he's pure, so he's sane. If he's applied, he believes he lied and believes he's applied, so again, he must be sane. B is sane, and could be pure or applied.

If C is pure, and really think's he's applied, he must be insane. Otherwise, if he's applied, and really thinks he's pure, he's wrong again and must be insane. C is insane.

D is pure, because everyone truly thinks their sane, so he must be telling the truth. Also, it's the only thing left after the first "round" of clues.

A - applied
B - sane
C - insane
D - pure

Now, working from the bottom, D truly thinks C is sane, which is wrong, so D is insane. B is sane, so he knows D is insane, and he says it, so he's pure. B is pure, and C is insane, so C thinks B is applied. Since C says B is applied, he's telling what he believes, so C is pure. A says C is pure, but since A is applied, he really thinks C is applied. But C is pure, so A is wrong, and thus insane. So:

A - applied insane
B - pure sane
C - pure insane
D - pure insane

A = Applied, Sane
B = Pure, Sane
C = Pure, Sane
D = Applied, Sane

Likely not to be right but I did it quickly.

The Bob (2004 ©)

AKG said:
A says "I am insane." Now, no person can really think they're insane. A sane person will know they're sane, and an insane person will incorrectly believe themselves to be sane. Since no person can believe themselves to be insane, A must be lying,

Captain, this is not logical. [It is a personal opinion.]

Ursole said:
Captain, this is not logical. [It is a personal opinion.]
Huh? No, it's perfectly logical. If A is sane, then A correctly knows himself to be sane. If A is insane, A incorrectly "knows" himself to be sane. Therefore, A necessarily "knows" himself to be sane. Q.E.D.

EDIT: I can see that my wording seemed rather colloquial, and may have thrown you off, but it was still a logically rigourous and sound argument. All philosophers believe themselves to be sane (based on the riddle's definitions of "philosopher" and "sane").

Sorry, AKG. I forgot the wording of the puzzle. :redface:

1. Who are the philosophers A, B, C, and D?

The philosophers A, B, C, and D refer to four specific individuals who have made significant contributions to the field of philosophy. Their names are often used as placeholders when discussing different beliefs and insights within the discipline.

2. What are the main beliefs of philosopher A?

The beliefs of philosopher A will vary depending on the specific individual being referenced. However, it is safe to assume that they hold strong convictions about various philosophical concepts and have developed their own unique perspective on the world.

3. How do philosopher B, C, and D differ in their insights?

Each philosopher has their own unique insights and perspectives, so it is difficult to make a generalization about how they differ. However, it is likely that their beliefs and insights may overlap in some areas while diverging in others.

4. What are some key similarities among philosopher A, B, C, and D?

Again, it is challenging to identify specific similarities among these philosophers without knowing their individual beliefs and insights. However, it is safe to assume that they all share a passion for exploring complex philosophical ideas and have made significant contributions to the field.

5. How have the beliefs of philosophers A, B, C, and D influenced modern philosophy?

The beliefs and insights of these philosophers have shaped and influenced modern philosophy in various ways. Their ideas have been built upon and challenged by subsequent thinkers, leading to the development of new and diverse perspectives within the discipline.