Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Philosophy Forum is closing

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The Philosophy forum will be closing in one week, Monday the 15th. All threads will be closed and merged into General Discussion. The reason is that the Philosophy forum over the past couple years has been almost impossible to moderate fairly and two out of three threads end up locked. Please finish up any discussion you have there. Thanks for your understanding.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2012 #2
    It is already in the lounge, and a sub forum of "General Discussion"

Can we please keep it and just not moderate it? Aside from Advertising, spam and what not.

Heck, you can call it Non academic philosophy if you wish. I think there are a lot of people in this forum that have philosophical questions but are not researchers. To me it is fun to have such discussions.

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3

Evo

It's been non-academic since the beginning. It needs to remain consistant with our scientific standards for the forum and that has proven to be impossible to maintain. If someone has a real question about science, it should be posted in the proper science forum where it can be addressed by members and staff that have actual knowledge of the subject. If it just random musing, it can be posted in GD, if it meets the forum guidelines.

5. Oct 10, 2012 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The philosophical implications of this decision are vast and profound. Please discuss. :wink:

6. Oct 10, 2012 #5
    It seems Niels Bohr was right - "It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how nature is. Physics concerns what can we say about nature."

It seems unclear where the interpretational issues will be discussed, since it's impossible to ban them.

7. Oct 11, 2012 #6
    I want to use this post to thank all the people who followed and wrote in this forum. Thank you for the time spend here, we had some very nice discussions and it was always a pleasure to me to read your posts and share my thoughts with you. I wish you all the best guys, and always remember to "live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law".

Take care,
    Dimitar

8. Oct 11, 2012 #7
    I believe all of science details what we can say about nature, not just physics itself.

@the topic: That kind of sucks for me seeing as I found some of the threads rather interesting (I mostly read them). But I can see the plight of a moderator trying to discern what is a post that remains within the guidelines and what posts do not. I get it in that sense. There is a lot of grey area in philosophy because it isn't black and white, just more abstract in thought.

Like I said before, I get it when it concerns moderation, but I feel that it is not good in terms of the community that wishes to discuss topics that don't necessarily pertain to any of the sciences without being muffled by other threads in general discussion.

9. Oct 11, 2012 #8

Evo

The PF community doesn't want philosophy. It's mostly just the same 2-3 people that post in philosophy over and over and they don't really contribute to the rest of the forum. They will be happier finding a real philosophy forum, and we wish them luck in their new philosophy home.

Of course posts to other PF subforums that follow the posting guidelines are still welcome.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  10. Oct 11, 2012 #9
    Will there be some type of forum so that I can read the threads posted in this forum, or will it all just be gone, wiped from PF's existence?

11. Oct 11, 2012 #10

Evo

They will be dumped into General Discusssion as read only. I guess that includes the older philosophy threads of people having third eyes, communing with the universe, the "one whatever gibberish", it was a looney bin. :bugeye:

We did manage to raise the bar, bit by bit, but could never quite get there.

12. Oct 12, 2012 #11

cobalt124

Gold Member

I'm in agreement with this action and the reasons, but not wholly with your statement above, as I found plenty of worthwhile reading in the Philosophy Forum, though there was gibberish there too. I'm glad we are not losing the threads.

For anyone who may not know there is in the Philosophy Napster a list of online communities. Philosophy Forums (you see, it's still PF!) seems to have similar principles to PF and does seem to cover the range from "proper" philosophy to pseudophilosopy. However if you upset them your name seemsto be put on a list alongside a scathing comment as to why you were banned. Had some fun reading through some of the reasons.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  13. Oct 13, 2012 #12

NWH

While I understand why it's being done, I think it's quite sad to see a scientific forum reject philosophy. Philosophy asks questions to which there are currently no answers and some of these questions have profound scientific implications. Such as the observations of matter by a conscious mind, our place in the universe, what exists beyond, these are real scientific, non religious questions which people should be encouraged to explore. One day we will understand these things and have answers to these questions, on that day they will no longer be philosophy and will be true science.

This is why I find it disappointing to see it go; while I understand there needs to be some standards and order to the forum, discussion shouldn't be diluted to filter out the unknown, by doing so we're limiting our levels of thought and teaching people to be closed minded. People shouldn't think selectively and everyone pursuing the field of science should be encouraged to think with an open mind, some of the greatest and most influential scientists of our past were philosophers, we should never forget that.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  14. Oct 13, 2012 #13
    Heh, I guess there's no room for the philosophically minded scientist (though I guess that sounds like an oxymoron). I'm okay and understand the decision, but wouldn't it be better if we just kept the "philosophy forum" as a read only archive rather than merging it with the "general discussion". It seems rather messy, making it difficult for anyone who wants to read (or reread) the old threads.

15. Oct 13, 2012 #14

Evo

If a question is mainstream and has value, it can be discussed in the appropriate science forum, there is no need for a separate forum. The goal of PF is to discuss known, accepted, mainstream science.

16. Oct 14, 2012 #15

Drakkith

You misunderstand. The overwhelming majority of threads aren't open minded and promoting new views, they are WORTHLESS. They make no logical sense, they are hugely speculative, don't follow the rules of philosophy, etc. It's like trying to discuss basic science and having 75% of everyone you talk to not understand basic math and shoving their personal theories down your face. The forum isn't rejecting philosophy, it is trimming the dead branches off that are weighing the rest of the plant down. If you have a valid philosophical question, post it in the general forum. Having a separate philosophy forum just invites people who actually have no idea what philosophy is to post their personal views.

17. Oct 14, 2012 #16

Ryan_m_b

Just to add to what Drakkith has said please don't take it as read that if we do not allow something on this site that we are rejecting it as important to science. An excellent example of this is our restriction on speculation and personal theories, as many of us here are scientists we fully appreciate the importance of speculation however it has proven near impossible to maintain standards if that is allowed on a site where anyone can come and post.

18. Oct 14, 2012 #17
    Just an observation from the sideline. The philosophy forum had stringent guidelines, General Discussion not so much. Would that mean that sup par entries for the dedicated forum now would be harder to sanction in GD?

19. Oct 14, 2012 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

All philosophy threads will be locked, so there won't be any philosophy entries in GD. New threads have to be posted in the relevant science forums. If it doesn't meet the guidelines of those forums, then they will be locked.

20. Oct 14, 2012 #19
  21. Oct 14, 2012 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Perhaps TD should be opened again? :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook