Does computation capture the full essence of reality?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of the philosophy of information and its relation to abstract concepts and reality. The participants discussed various works and authors, including Kant, Plato, Wittgenstein, Peirce, and Rosen. Some questions were raised about the interpretation of symbols in mathematics and the existence of perfect concepts in our world. The conversation also touched upon the concept of digital objects and their relation to physical mediums. Overall, the participants seemed interested in exploring the relationship between abstraction and reality in different contexts.
0xDEADBEEF
Does anyone know of work on the philosophy of information? I am thinking along the lines of on abstraction and the related question about reality especially of mathematics? Kant was wrong, Plato not deep enough, Wittgenstein wants to make it a language problem. There must be something more current.

Physics news on Phys.org
You may have to be more specific about what you are interested in here.

It could be the issue of meaning, and here there is recent work on semiotics in the Peircean tradition.

Or talking about the reality of measurements, there is Robert Rosen's book, Essays on Life Itself, which is a particular favourite.

I don't like the idea of symbols, because they are man made and imply subjectivity. I am thinking along the lines that some information is recoverable and therefore still present lending it some reality, and seeing some relationship between reality and concreteness of a description as opposed to mathematics and generalizations... well very fuzzy concepts so far, but since computer science is coming up even philosophers get more exposed to the technicalities, so I am hoping that there is work being done. I am less worried about quantum information and reality, since I am of the "shut up and calculate" fraction.

That's still a little opaque but it sounds like you stand at the other end of the spectrum to me so you can discount my references.

Sounds like you want to be reading Wolfram, Tegmark and guys like that.

Are you asking about the interpretation of symbols and signs of mathematics? My professor said once that we can never make a perfect circle that obeys the laws of circumference and area and he continued from there with a discussion that I can not remember. However, it was still along the same lines of whether this "perfect circle" exists in our world or in a platonistic world. Am I getting close?

AhmedEzz said:
Are you asking about the interpretation of symbols and signs of mathematics?

As I said I don't like the notion of symbols. But it is going in this direction.

My professor said once that we can never make a perfect circle that obeys the laws of circumference and area and he continued from there with a discussion that I can not remember. However, it was still along the same lines of whether this "perfect circle" exists in our world or in a platonistic world. Am I getting close?

Well this is where Plato is wrong. He argued that ideas like the circle you mentioned are as real or actually more real than objects. The point is, that Newtons law of gravity is real in a certain sense, as well as inflation for example, but reality differs from these concepts in subtle ways. There is some kind of reciprocal relationship between abstraction and reality, so "the chair that I am sitting on", is more real in a way than "the European attitude on the death penalty". But ever since the appearance of pseudo objects like files some very abstract things have gained a new kind of reality.

Maybe you can see the direction where I want to go. I think Plato was much to simplistic. He discovered the idea and suddenly he thought that this was the path to enlightenment and claimed that ideas was all there is in the world. This isn't very helpful, and there should be new thought given to this area IMHO.

This is indeed interesting. At first, when I was talking to my professor I thought he was amplifying a very small issue. However, as our discussion progressed, I began to see the implication of such discussion. There should be a good read on this subject. If you found anything , please, do let me know.

0xDEADBEEF said:
But ever since the appearance of pseudo objects like files some very abstract things have gained a new kind of reality.
Pseudo objects?

JoeDawg said:
Pseudo objects?
A file is not a real object.

One of the fundamental differences between an atomic object and a digital object is that a digital object and its duplicate are truly identical and interchangeable, whereas an atomic object's duplicate is never more than a simalcrum. Even if you duplicate it down to the atom, it is still made out of atoms that are distinct from the original's atoms. The same is not true about a digital object (the memory materials are not part of the digital object).

Greetings OxDEADBEEF!

Would you be so kind as to tell me what exactly was Kant wrong about?

Regards,

DaveC426913 said:
(the memory materials are not part of the digital object).

That's like saying atoms aren't part of being a hammer, or writing materials aren't part of writing. Every instance of a 'digital object' requires some kind of hardware, or medium, as far as I know. Even if the 'hardware' is just radio waves.

Condor77 said:
Would you be so kind as to tell me what exactly was Kant wrong about?
Ethics.

I meant within the context of the OP.

My apologies if I was not clear.

Regards,

Condor77 said:
I meant within the context of the OP.
Yeah, I didn't understand the OP either.

JoeDawg said:
That's like saying atoms aren't part of being a hammer, or writing materials aren't part of writing. Every instance of a 'digital object' requires some kind of hardware, or medium, as far as I know. Even if the 'hardware' is just radio waves.

No, the hammer is its atoms.

You are right about the writing thing though. I could copy every letter of a hand-written story onto a paper using a typewriter and it would be the same story. The story is not the medium it is represented with.

In the same manner, the file is an abstract, the medium used for presenting the file is not the file itself.

DaveC426913 said:

You are right about the writing thing though. I could copy every letter of a hand-written story onto a paper using a typewriter and it would be the same story. The story is not the medium it is represented with.

In the same manner, the file is an abstract, the medium used for presenting the file is not the file itself.

A hammer is a functional definition. I can use a rock, or a screwdriver, as a hammer. The atoms don't much matter. Even atoms of water, at a certain temp, can be used as a hammer.

Similarly, the story may be similar, but its more clearly different, if say I rewrite it in french. The hardware, does matter, because it defines a different instance and form of the story. Just like a digital image being transmitted over radio waves is different from the magnetic form saved to a hard drive. One can translate from one to the other, given the proper translation hardware, because they are similar, but they are not the same.

JoeDawg said:
A hammer is a functional definition.
No it isn't. "The hammer" is a particular hammer.

JoeDawg said:
Similarly, the story may be similar, but its more clearly different, if say I rewrite it in french.
Yes, that is a different story.

JoeDawg said:
The hardware, does matter, because it defines a different instance and form of the story. Just like a digital image being transmitted over radio waves is different from the magnetic form saved to a hard drive. One can translate from one to the other, given the proper translation hardware, because they are similar, but they are not the same.
Right, but two copies of the same file (sans metadata) are identical, even in principle.

DaveC426913 said:
No it isn't. "The hammer" is a particular hammer.
Hammer is not a chemical or atomic property. Its either a functional definition, a category reference, or a given name reference. I guarantee I could buy two identical hammers, from a hardware store, and you wouldn't know the difference. Just like I could buy two copies of the same book. They are still different instances of the same story, just like you can have multiple instances of 'hammer'. The fact, you can't tell the difference between them, doesn't mean they are the same.
Right, but two copies of the same file (sans metadata) are identical, even in principle.

They might 'seem identical' to you, but an original manuscript and a well-made fake would as well, if you were not an expert in manuscripts. Just like, similar digital images will look the same whether they are loaded from a flash drive or a regular hard drive. A computer technician could tell you how the 'files' are different, and could even tell you how identical files on the same hard drive are different.

JoeDawg said:
They might 'seem identical' to you, but an original manuscript and a well-made fake would as well, if you were not an expert in manuscripts. Just like, similar digital images will look the same whether they are loaded from a flash drive or a regular hard drive. A computer technician could tell you how the 'files' are different, and could even tell you how identical files on the same hard drive are different.

Do you have anything to back that up? Anyway, I think this is a sort of nitpicking because it is not the main point of the OP , but rather a side statement. If again anyone has any idea about the "theory of information", would you please be kind and direct us to the literature?

AhmedEzz said:
Do you have anything to back that up? Anyway, I think this is a sort of nitpicking because it is not the main point of the OP , but rather a side statement. If again anyone has any idea about the "theory of information", would you please be kind and direct us to the literature?

Back up what? That different files on a hard drive are in different locations? This would be relevant to a computer technician, but doesn't mean that much to someone only using a gui. That doesn't mean files are somehow magically separate from their hardware.

Any understanding of information will depend on one's epistemology, philosophy of mind and views on semiotics, and probably an understanding of ontology would help. There are lots of books of philosophy on those things. As to the most 'recent' books that will appeal to the OP, I have no clue. I don't think recent equates to better, and I don't think computer 'files' advance our understanding of abstract ideas in the slightest. They are just physical containers of information, like books.

JoeDawg said:
Hammer is not a chemical or atomic property. Its either a functional definition, a category reference, or a given name reference. I guarantee I could buy two identical hammers, from a hardware store, and you wouldn't know the difference.
No, the object exists despite the label being applied. It is still an object even if we call it a handheld-thagomizer.

JoeDawg said:
Just like I could buy two copies of the same book. They are still different instances of the same story,
Thank you, yes. As you say yourself: "the same story".

JoeDawg said:
just like you can have multiple instances of 'hammer'.
Nope. You have an object that is labeled a hammer.

JoeDawg said:
They might 'seem identical' to you, but an original manuscript and a well-made fake would as well, if you were not an expert in manuscripts.
Two manuscripts, one story.

JoeDawg said:
Just like, similar digital images will look the same whether they are loaded from a flash drive or a regular hard drive. A computer technician could tell you how the 'files' are different, and could even tell you how identical files on the same hard drive are different.
Metadata is something I already addressed. Metadata is required because without it, files are identical. It is not required for two hammers because the existence of two objects in two locations is sufficient.

DaveC426913 said:
No, the object exists despite the label being applied. It is still an object even if we call it a handheld-thagomizer.
I never said the object didn't exist. Its nature as a hammer is not part of its atomic structure.
Thank you, yes. As you say yourself: "the same story".
And it would be the 'same story' if it was written in french. Its simply a matter of where you choose to draw the line of relevance with regards to sameness.
Nope. You have an object that is labeled a hammer.
I can label a muffin as hammer, that doesn't make it useful as a hammer. Being a hammer involves being able to 'hammer'.
Two manuscripts, one story.
two very similar stories.
Metadata is something I already addressed. Metadata is required because without it, files are identical. It is not required for two hammers because the existence of two objects in two locations is sufficient.

Computer files have different locations on a hard drive. They have different locations, just like the hammers.

DaveC426913 said:

Hello Dave,
I have a question. Just using this simple and good example. What is the story behind the medium? Can we give a real life example to this example?

Willowz said:
Hello Dave,
I have a question. Just using this simple and good example. What is the story behind the medium? Can we give a real life example to this example?
If I read the story out loud to you, the story you heard would contain no ink and no paper. These are not an intrinsic part of the story.

JoeDawg said:
And it would be the 'same story' if it was written in french.
It would most definitrely not be the same story. While true, for the intent and purpose of reading it, some (but definitely not al) would say it's the same thing, how many times have you heard someone say "You're got to read it in its native language to apprecate it. Something is lost in the translation."?

There is big business in translation. There are as many ways of translating one language to another as there are languages. The translated version will be a simalcrum of the original, but it will not be "the same".

JoeDawg said:
I can label a muffin as hammer, that doesn't make it useful as a hammer. Being a hammer involves being able to 'hammer'.
Precisely. Its "hammerness" is not an intrinsic part of the object. Its "objectness" is.

JoeDawg said:
Computer files have different locations on a hard drive. They have different locations, just like the hammers.
Its location is not an intrinsic part of the file or the hammer.

The fundamental distinction I am pointing out is that the hammer is physical object, whereas the file is the information, which is not physical. A duplicate of a piece of information is, in practice and in principle, the same, not merely arbitrarily the same to a certain amount of measurement.

Looked at another way, if I recorded a hammer-muffin to an arbitrary level of detail and then attempted to copy it, and then played a shell game with the two of them, the duplicate would always be in principle distinguishable from its original. On the other hand, if I duplicated the information in my file (say, simply my birthdate: 13), and then played the shell game with those two numbers , there is no way even in principle to distinguish which number 13 was the original. 13 is exactly equivalent to 13. A hammer-muffin is not exactly equivalent to a hammer-muffin.

Perhaps our argument lies in the distinction between the manifestation of a file on a disk and the contents of a file. The contents of a file (the information) is duplicable. There are no contents of a hammer-muffin that can be duplicable, they can only be simulated to an arbitrary level of satisfaction.

Last edited:
This discussion is already bumping into consciousness and will soon hit an impenetrable wall. We cannot fully define the deep nature of information without defining us ourselves and the way we process the incoming information. In the words of the father of quantum theory Max Plank:

“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”I wrote a similar thread titled "What is information?" but deleted it as i deemed it hopeless that it would produce anything worthwhile.

DaveC426913 said:
If I read the story out loud to you, the story you heard would contain no ink and no paper. These are not an intrinsic part of the story.
I get that, but what I'm asking is about the "placement", "description" of the story. It might sound funny trying to describe something that is undescribable, but who knows? Would you call it reality?

WaveJumper said:
This discussion is already bumping into consciousness and will soon hit an impenetrable wall.
Consciousness has nothing to do with it. A computer program one line long can process information quite happily without the slightest need for consciousness. Your point - while interesting - is not relevant to this discussion.

Willowz said:
I get that, but what I'm asking is about the "placement", "description" of the story. It might sound funny trying to describe something that is undescribable, but who knows? Would you call it reality?
Then I don't understand your question.

DaveC426913 said:
Then I don't understand your question.
When I understand that example about the story and the medium, I think about the concept of the idea that creats the story. Though I would rather speak about objects that you touch and feel. When I look at a circle I don't think about a square. Let's not get into the barriers of language. Becasue you could call a square a circle and vica versa and still the "object" would not be changed. I'll try to sum it up. Now how would you call the object that gives meaning to the "idea", which eventually creats words to describe it...? When I mean idea I think about the curve you see in a circle, the characteristics that make it spesific. I don't think this is off topic because it's looking deeper into what makes information. More info: It's like math IMO, you don't invent it, you just discover it. What do you discover? Reality, logic...neeed mooore words, :/

DaveC426913 said:
Consciousness has nothing to do with it. A computer program one line long can process information quite happily without the slightest need for consciousness. Your point - while interesting - is not relevant to this discussion.
What is information without consciousness? How do you know there is a computer that is processing, has processed or will process this line of information except through consciousness? There not a "slightest need" for consciousness, there is an absolutely imperative demand for consciousness. Without it, all the "information" in the universe is utterly meaningless(the inverted commas denote the lost status of information as such without a conscious mind, i.e. it stops being information).

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
It would most definitrely not be the same story. While true, for the intent and purpose of reading it, some (but definitely not al) would say it's the same thing, how many times have you heard someone say "You're got to read it in its native language to apprecate it. Something is lost in the translation."?
But this is what I mean, the translation example is not essentially different, it just makes it more obvious, because if you can't read the language you can't understand the information, and there will be subtle differences in the meanings of the words. It depends on how much you decide is sufficient for the story. I don't think you can separate 'information' from existence so easily. Information needs a medium, and while the difference in medium may seem irrelevant, that's only because, for your purposes, you don't require any more detail.

A handwritten book, a type-written book, and an audio-book, might not make people say the story is 'different', but it would effect their experience of the story, even to the degree that might result from reading a translation. The form contains information too.
Precisely. Its "hammerness" is not an intrinsic part of the object. Its "objectness" is.
But hammerness is a representation of an intrinsic aspect of the object. All things of a certain hardness could be used as hammers, but we don't classify them all as such, even though the intrinsic property is what allows us to define it so. The objectness is a type of information.
The fundamental distinction I am pointing out is that the hammer is physical object, whereas the file is the information, which is not physical. A duplicate of a piece of information is, in practice and in principle, the same, not merely arbitrarily the same to a certain amount of measurement.
It will seem to be the same, but it won't really 'be' the same.
Looked at another way, if I recorded a hammer-muffin to an arbitrary level of detail and then attempted to copy it, and then played a shell game with the two of them, the duplicate would always be in principle distinguishable from its original. On the other hand, if I duplicated the information in my file (say, simply my birthdate: 13), and then played the shell game with those two numbers , there is no way even in principle to distinguish which number 13 was the original. 13 is exactly equivalent to 13. A hammer-muffin is not exactly equivalent to a hammer-muffin.
Unless you knew the unique memory location where the original was stored. If you knew where the original was stored, you would know which was the copy.
Perhaps our argument lies in the distinction between the manifestation of a file on a disk and the contents of a file. The contents of a file (the information) is duplicable. There are no contents of a hammer-muffin that can be duplicable, they can only be simulated to an arbitrary level of satisfaction.
I'd say the same thing about the computer file, its just that you are more than satisfied with the level of duplication.

WaveJumper said:
What is information without consciousness? How do you know there is a computer that is processing, has processed or will process this line of information except through consciousness? There not a "slightest need" for consciousness, there is an absolutely imperative demand for consciousness. Without it, all the "information" in the universe is utterly meaningless(the inverted commas denote the lost status of information as such without a conscious mind, i.e. it stops being information).
This is a reducto ad absurdum argument. By the same token, nothing in the entire universe is of any significance unless it is observed by some consciousness.

The fact is, the single-line program is quite capable of processing the data in the file without any consciousness. Perhaps every human on Earth has gone into suspended animation and the computer is designed to multiply the number 13 until it reaches a specific value before opening the sleep chambers. Who cares? Make up any situation you want. The program is acting upon the information with no need for consciousness.

DaveC426913 said:
This is a reducto ad absurdum argument. By the same token, nothing in the entire universe is of any significance unless it is observed by some consciousness.
No, it is not. Defining "information' is neither that easy nor that straight-forward. We have hard data that shows the universe existed before the arrival of consciousness, whereas the abstraction we label 'information' exist only in our perceiving brains. And it only exists now, not in the past or in the future but only now.

The fact is, the single-line program is quite capable of processing the data in the file without any consciousness.

What information and in what program?? A program, in the sense you are implying is an abstraction. A computer, at its hardware level is not processing information per se, it's processing positive and negative electricity, that we dub 0's and 1's. It takes a conscious mind to perceive and understand what a computer is doing information-wise. Otherwise, a computer is simply nothing more than an electrical gadget.

Perhaps every human on Earth has gone into suspended animation and the computer is designed to multiply the number 13 until it reaches a specific value before opening the sleep chambers. Who cares? Make up any situation you want. The program is acting upon the information with no need for consciousness.
The computer becomes a computer when consciousness arrives. And not some kind of consciousness, but the human kind. Could my pekingese perceive as information what my computer is outputting now?

Last edited:
WaveJumper said:
No, it is not. Defining "information' is neither that easy nor that straight-forward. We have hard data that shows the universe existed before the arrival of consciousness, whereas the abstraction we label 'information' exist only in our perceiving brains. And it only exists now, not in the past or in the future but only now.

What information and in what program?? A program, in the sense you are implying is an abstraction. A computer, at its hardware level is not processing information per se, it's processing positive and negative electricity, that we dub 0's and 1's. It takes a conscious mind to perceive and understand what a computer is doing information-wise. Otherwise, a computer is simply nothing more than an electrical gadget.

The computer becomes a computer when consciousness arrives. And not some kind of consciousness, but the human kind. Could my pekingese perceive the information my computer is outputting now?

While all this may be true, it is not relevant to this particular discussion about digital files. The file containing the number 13 can indeed be processed by one line code with no consciousness involved in that processing.

At the risk of beating a horse I feel I've already killed:
What information and in what program?? A program, in the sense you are implying is an abstraction. A computer, at its hardware level is not processing information per se, it's processing positive and negative electricity, that we dub 0's and 1's.
So what? It is still processing the file.

It takes a conscious mind to perceive and understand what a computer is doing information-wise. Otherwise, a computer is simply nothing more than an electrical gadget.
So what? It is still processing the file.

I'll grant you one concession/retraction: information is tied to consciousness. Where I come from "information" is "data interpreted to provide meaning" and meaning does require consciousness. I will concede that everywhere I've used the word information I should have used the word data.

That being said, data in a file does not require consciousness. And it is a file of data we've been talking about since post #9.

<h2>1. What is computation?</h2><p>Computation is the process of performing calculations or operations using a computer or other electronic device.</p><h2>2. How does computation relate to reality?</h2><p>Computation can be used to simulate or model aspects of reality, but it is not a perfect representation of the complexity and nuances of the real world.</p><h2>3. Can computation capture the full essence of reality?</h2><p>This is a highly debated question in the scientific community. Some argue that computation can eventually reach a point where it can accurately simulate reality, while others believe that there are fundamental aspects of reality that cannot be captured through computation.</p><h2>4. What are the limitations of using computation to understand reality?</h2><p>One limitation is that computation relies on algorithms and data, which are created and inputted by humans. This means that the output is limited by our understanding and biases. Additionally, there are aspects of reality that may be too complex or unpredictable to be accurately captured through computation.</p><h2>5. Are there any benefits to using computation to study reality?</h2><p>Yes, there are many benefits to using computation in scientific research. It allows for the testing of hypotheses and theories in a controlled and efficient manner. It also allows for the exploration of complex systems and phenomena that may be difficult or impossible to study in the physical world.</p>

1. What is computation?

Computation is the process of performing calculations or operations using a computer or other electronic device.

2. How does computation relate to reality?

Computation can be used to simulate or model aspects of reality, but it is not a perfect representation of the complexity and nuances of the real world.

3. Can computation capture the full essence of reality?

This is a highly debated question in the scientific community. Some argue that computation can eventually reach a point where it can accurately simulate reality, while others believe that there are fundamental aspects of reality that cannot be captured through computation.

4. What are the limitations of using computation to understand reality?

One limitation is that computation relies on algorithms and data, which are created and inputted by humans. This means that the output is limited by our understanding and biases. Additionally, there are aspects of reality that may be too complex or unpredictable to be accurately captured through computation.

5. Are there any benefits to using computation to study reality?

Yes, there are many benefits to using computation in scientific research. It allows for the testing of hypotheses and theories in a controlled and efficient manner. It also allows for the exploration of complex systems and phenomena that may be difficult or impossible to study in the physical world.