1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Philosophy of Physics Book?

1. Aug 15, 2009 #1
    Admit it, the subject is interesting. I have my own "theories" about it, but can you recommend me a book?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2
    Time, Space and Things by B. K. Ridley.

4. Aug 22, 2009 #3
    Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg, 1958, publisher: Harper, part of the "World Perspectives" series. A rare find at a used bookstore. I would suggest eBay.

Not sure I agree with everything written here, but it is hard to argue with the source. It is notable that among the dozen or so "Board of Editors" for the series both Bohr and Oppenheimer are listed (not necessarily for THIS book, though). Also a gentleman named Jacques Maritain, a noted Catholic philosopher and scholar who wrote a very powerful treatise on the importance of a classical, liberal arts education for academics is present. I only note him as I had to read this treatise in my phil. of education course as an undergrad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook