Philosophy of Physics Forum

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter kote
  • Start date
While I applaud kote for his intentions, and for having made this thread, I must take issue with the following:

Hmm..no.
That depends on how you define the symbols "2,4,5", and also, what your "+"-operation is meant to convey.

There might well exist well-defined "+"-operations that from some point of view are justified as being a "sort-of-plus"-operation, called +' in which 2+'2=5.

Maths is a set of logical games where we make up what are the valid rules for one particular game. Results are game-dependent.
I'll admit that I didn't want to go into all of that on this thread. I have said as much, however, in recent posts on the philosophy forum. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2446381&postcount=3.

I have no issue with anyone bringing up "sort-of-plus" operations. It's different when everyone agrees we are talking about the normal mathematical definitions of the symbols.

You can find people loudly proclaiming that P=P is not necessarily true within the rules of normal propositional logic. Something like that might have been a better example.

...want to fight about it on the philosophy forum? :smile:

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I'll admit that I didn't want to go into all of that on this thread. I have said as much, however, in recent posts on the philosophy forum. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2446381&postcount=3.

I have no issue with anyone bringing up "sort-of-plus" operations. It's different when everyone agrees we are talking about the normal mathematical definitions of the symbols.

You can find people loudly proclaiming that P=P is not necessarily true within the rules of normal propositional logic. Something like that might have been a better example.

...want to fight about it on the philosophy forum? :smile:
Certainly not, since you have betrayed, and still show, the understanding of how crucial actual definitions are prior to launching into an argument. I wanted to find out how you'd answer me. :smile: