Physics or Philosophy? Third Year Decision

In summary, the individual is a third-year physics major with minors in mathematics and philosophy. They have recently realized an interest in the philosophy of mathematics and science, but are still considering pursuing a graduate program in either pure mathematics or philosophy. They have been unable to participate in undergraduate laboratory research and have little programming experience, which they recognize as a weakness. They are seeking advice on whether it is feasible to switch their major to math and minor in physics, and potentially pursue work in mathematical physics or computational science/math/physics. They are also considering going to a math or philosophy graduate program after their undergraduate degree and are hesitant about pursuing a degree in philosophy due to its limited practical applicability.
bulbasaur
I am currently starting my third year as a physics major with minors in mathematics and philosophy. I have recently realized, within the last year, that I do not think I have an interest in doing scientific work. I think I am truly interested in the philosophy of mathematics and the philosophy of science. I still think however, that perhaps the best way to understand math and physics philosophically is to study math and physics. I am also more interested in pure mathematics than being cooped in a lab tinkering with various instruments. My question is, is it possible to continue through my physics degree and pursue a graduate program in either pure mathematics or philosophy? And if so, are there any program recommendations?

As a side note, I have been unable to participate in undergraduate laboratory research thus far, despite attempts, and I realize this may be a valuable experience in determining my opinions. Also, though interested and familiar with the subject, I have little programming experience and I recognize this as a weakness in higher level study of math and physics.

I have been looking for advice. I am also new here. Thank you to anyone who replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to orientate towards more formal sciences, rather than empirical sciences (physics), then you could've considered changing your major to e.g. math and minor in physics and could look to pursue work in mathematical physics (where you can combine math + physics in a math way), computer science or computational science/math/physics for example. However as you're on your third year, it might not be feasible, unless you've done and/or can do the required courses and do a last minute switch. In all of these fields you're encouraged to study computer science and be interested in programming, because programming is a very applicable work/study method or even unavoidable in these fields, even if it's just something like Matlab.

It's however very feasible to go to a math graduate program from physics undergrad, but you should make sure that you've studied enough math courses for you to have done the required background studies. Same for philosophy. You could even do more individual courses somewhere after your undergrad, if you're missing some courses that they ask for entering the graduate program. You could also check out graduate programs for mathematical physics and computational science/math/physics, if they interest you, because your physics undergrad fits those fields very well.

I would not major or go for a degree program in philosophy, because philosophy is seen to have very little practical applicability in most jobs (even though it expands one's mind), unless you're sure you want to study it just for the sake of studying without worrying about career prospects. Philosophy is a good minor subject and a good hobby, but I personally wouldn't do a degree in philosophy. Math however is a very good major for the formally minded, because it doesn't really close much, if any future possibilities and you get to study formal science, rather than practical/empirical science.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between physics and philosophy?

Physics is a natural science that studies the physical world and its behavior through experiments, observations, and mathematical models. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe. On the other hand, philosophy is a branch of knowledge that deals with fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, values, and reasoning. It uses critical thinking and logical analysis to explore abstract concepts and ideas.

2. How are physics and philosophy related?

Physics and philosophy are closely related as they both seek to understand the fundamental nature of reality. While physics uses empirical methods to investigate the physical world, philosophy uses conceptual analysis and logical reasoning to explore abstract concepts. Both disciplines also share a common goal of seeking truth and understanding the world around us.

3. Can I study both physics and philosophy at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to study both physics and philosophy at the same time. Many universities offer dual degree programs or allow students to major in one subject and minor in the other. However, keep in mind that both subjects require a significant amount of time and dedication, so it may be challenging to balance the workload of both majors.

4. Which subject should I choose for my third year: physics or philosophy?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are more interested in understanding the physical world and how it works, then physics may be the better choice. If you enjoy critical thinking and exploring abstract concepts, then philosophy may be a better fit. Consider talking to your academic advisor or researching potential career paths in both fields to help make your decision.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics and philosophy majors?

Physics and philosophy majors have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Physics majors often pursue careers in research, engineering, healthcare, and education. Philosophy majors often go on to work in law, business, government, and education. However, both majors also develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many industries, making them versatile and desirable for a variety of careers.