Philosophy Essay Writing Advice for Beginners

In summary: We should still be trying to get better at the game.In summary, the more boring the essay is, the better. You should stick to the basics and use logic to make your points. Do not try to be fancy or use creative writing styles you learned in English classes.
Treadstone 71
I'm not sure where to post this. I'm taking a university level philosophy class for the first time (ethics), and I'm about to write an essay. Now, as an advice, the prof. told me that "the more boring the essay is, the better." I'm not sure what he means, and I'm not sure what a philosophy paper should look like. Any general advices? Should I write it in the style of a math paper?

Physics news on Phys.org
He means explain each step in logic used to make your point, from your initial premise, explanation of any assumptions, through to your conclusions. Don't try to be fancy, or use creative writing styles you learned in English classes, just stick with A leads to B, B leads to C, thus A leads to C, type arguments. Have you been given any reading assignments? It seems to be jumping the gun a bit to require you to write a philosophical essay without having assigned some to read first so you can see examples of the style required.

Further advice about writing a philosophy paper. Don't ask rhetorical questions. Do not use abbreviations like "don't". Write the whole thing out "do not".

You begin by giving a brief description of whichever philosophical concept you are going to discuss. If you've been assigned to read one philosopher in particular, outline that philosopher's argument.

Next part, give your thesis statement. You agree/disagree with the philosopher and give short points of the arguments you intend to present to illustrate your point.

Make your points. Each argument to at least one paragraph.

Summarise.

Done.

Do not go past the allotted word count, follow these guidelines, you should be fine. I got 90s with it.

Edit: Yay! I finally wrote a post that counted as having written a post.

Way to go, Georgina! :)

I'm not sure what the congrats are for, Tide, but thank you! :)

I'm wondering, Moonbear, if we arrived here too late to give Treadstone advice.

1. What is philosophy essay writing?

Philosophy essay writing is a form of academic writing that involves critically analyzing and evaluating philosophical ideas and arguments. It requires a clear understanding of philosophical concepts and the ability to construct logical and well-supported arguments.

2. How do I structure a philosophy essay?

A philosophy essay typically follows a standard structure of introduction, main body, and conclusion. The introduction should provide background information and a thesis statement. The main body should present and analyze arguments, while the conclusion should summarize the main points and restate the thesis.

3. What are the key elements of a good philosophy essay?

A good philosophy essay should have a clear and concise thesis statement, well-supported arguments, and a logical structure. It should also demonstrate critical thinking and use proper citation and referencing to support ideas and arguments.

4. How do I choose a topic for a philosophy essay?

Choosing a topic for a philosophy essay can be challenging. It's best to select a topic that interests you and that you have some knowledge about. You can also consider current philosophical debates or choose a specific philosopher or philosophical concept to focus on.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in philosophy essay writing?

Some common mistakes to avoid in philosophy essay writing include vague or overly broad arguments, lack of evidence to support claims, and relying on personal opinions instead of logical reasoning. It's also important to proofread and edit your essay for clarity and coherence.