not even have enough space for them to turn a
    round!!

Maybe we should all stop eating meat!
    It's not unhealthy or lacking enough essentials
    because all the vegetarians around the world
    are still perfectly fine and healthy.

Now the main problem is:
    - Should we continue eating meat as the world's
    population continues to expand rapidly??
    - Or should we stop eating meat and everyone changes to
    become a vegetarian?
    (since it's considered to be
    cruel to kill other life forms)

Benefits of becoming a vegetarian:
    • Freedom for all farm animals!
    • Eating less unhealthy food
    • No need to cut any animal bodies or organs=> more convienient & less mess
    • Eating more healthy food!
    • No more interference with the animals' life and death.
    • Increase in animal population!
    • More animals to conduct researches on.
    • No more artificially caused extinction of any animals!
    • and many more!!!

2. jcsd
  3. I guess the real issue is to save the species which are about to be wiped out (like whales, sharks, panda bears, Bengal tigers, and many others)
    Last time I checked nor cows, nor chickens were on the brink of extinction......
    So that would be the difference between eating a steak and eating a shark. Also when you eat shark you eat only one fin, while from a cow you can get a larger number of steaks...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
  4. selfAdjoint

selfAdjoint 8,147
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

People who want to be vegans are fine with me. I don't bother them, and I expect them not to bother me.

5. Consuming animals at our current population levels is not serving us well. I would suggest anyone that has social concerns review a video called "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins.
    Very enlightening.

John

6. and yet I see only Yes in the poll.....

7. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i like meat, i am borderline anemic, and i need it...i am not saying that i have a fat steak everynight for dinner, but i do consume meat at least every other day, mostly fish and chicken...cows, chicken, pigs and fish are not about to be extinct one bit...the farms that specially raise these animals for consumption are horrid, but last i checked, americans have the choice to pick at the grocery store what meat they want to consume...

8. Yes must be the default in the poll. Sorry I missed it.
    Well at least I now how to get the "Not paying attention vote".

John

9. i think this is a bad idea, it could disrupt the food chain if everyone on earth stopped eating meat.

10. Indians took only what they needed when they hunted buffolo. The white man took what they wanted thinking only of themselfs almost extincting the specie. When I think of america I think of the majority to be overweight, maybe it's because of where I live but I think that we just don't need to eat all the time. Only if we are trully hungry. Thats the reason why are animals are getting killed because of greedy fat people who think only of them selfs. no offense I myself am a little over weight too. The answers just not to stop eating meat, but just not as much. When theres less of a demand the animals will be treated healthier.

11. Now we hunt moose because we don't have buffalo around here. I agree that people are eating more then is needed and a big change would hurt but who said we all need to change right away. It's not about changing everything right away it's about setting up the future to change in time.

12. Anyone hear of the Atkins Diet? People are not fat because they eat a lot of meat, they're fat because of their sedentary lifestyle and they eat a lot of carbohydrates! This is also why we have such a high rate of diabetes in our society!

13. Good advice for a long life.

You are what you eat.

Good advice for a long life. This is the best diet. Eat a little of everything and not to much of nothing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2003
  14. No one is safe. I turned vegetarian for a few weeks and during that time I was turning purple. look at this from http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydoerge.htm
    I am outraged and I'm going to take it out on the farm animals. Anyways, I don't know how anyone can possibly know if vegetarians are healthy. I was pretty sick eating those toxic pellet raisins and soy products all those weeks. from http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art14546.asp

15. Kerrie

Kerrie 1,203
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

that atkins diet is only good for a short period of time...you do need to balance your diet with carbs, and the whole grain ones are the best...

16. Carbohydrates that haven't been refined are very good for you.
    Both simple{fruit}@ complex{vege} are essential for proper health.
    I have my doubts about whether any meat consumption is necessary, but this is only knowable via experiment{which the individual can undertake and prove}.

17. I voted no that we shouldn't eat meat. Let me preface that by saying I'm one of the worst offenders of meat eating, so it may seem that I'm throwing the proverbial stone in the glass house. But with all our advanced technology, if we could find a way to eliminate the need for meat, I'd go for it. I'll admit I'm guilty of just following the herd on this, and I've never gone vegetarian. I've tried the various soy products and they are nasty. So I'd like to find a "tasty" alternative to meat before I chuck in the meat towel.

Also, being somewhat familiar with some asian cultures, I will agree that we do lead a sedentary lifestyle. We don't exercise nearly as much as they do, and we consume larger portions. If you go to any asian country, thier large is our small insomuch as portion sizes go.
    Asians do eat meat, and then some. They just eat less of it, and exercise more. So we cannot blame meat for our weight problem.

I'm not sure how much of an impact we'd have on the environment if we went meat free, but I'm sure the world would be a little more crowded.

18. I guess you go all out with meat Zantra. You even have a meat towel.

19. Keeps me warm, and it has riboflavin

20. I'm sure there have been some who thought plants were too pretty to eat. What makes us think eating meat is bad? Don't you kill a bunch of microorganisms all the time? I suppose only those willing enough to eat survive enough to pass on their eating er. Damn the circumstances, and then you'll realize this question is only meant to try to cull you into admitting you want to bash in Heffer the cow's head. Moo?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook