Philosophy subject in curriculum

In summary: It was definitely a difficult class and I don't think it would be a good idea to introduce it to teenagers without some prior experience with it.In summary, the author thinks that philosophy should be a subject in either mid-school or high-school, but that it is difficult to teach and most teenagers would not be able to understand it.
Saint
In malaysia, our schools have the subject of Moral Study or Civic.
I donno why it is not Philosophy?
If philosophy worth studying, why not include it into high school syllubus?
[?]

Physics news on Phys.org
in the US philosophy isn't curriculum in public schools until college.
There is of course sociology and psychology, but no philosophy- at least not as a separate course.

I definetally agree with that Philosophy should be a subject in either mid-school or high-school.

Originally posted by pace
I definetally agree with that Philosophy should be a subject in either mid-school or high-school.

that's a tough call. I mean obviously the teenagers who come here are not a good example, but the overall population of teenagers.. would they benefit from it or even be able to accurately comprehend it? It requires a lot of abstract thought. Now mind you I'm talking about the general population, but I'm sure there are private schools, and some public where it's given as an elective.

Of course tht leads to the sad state of the US school system... but that' another topic;)

Originally posted by Zantra
It requires a lot of abstract thought.

So does religion.

And I'd rather have philosophy then religion. Even when I was a christian, and after some thought, I was decisive on this. After a little while with ph. I've always felt philosophy is more wide, and above religion, and thus more necessary.

Last edited:
Good point I know I would have benefit from the class early on.

I took a 2 week introduction to a course of philosophy taught at a university in my 8th year of school and I thought it broadened my mind quite a bit but I think it didn't have the same effect on a good deal of my class mates. Even though there were students several years older then myself, some were more focused on 'working the wording' then trying to understand the concepts. It would also be a difficult subject to teach to teenagers who have not had some kind of experience with it in one way or another.

I think it would be a great idea as an elective course at about the 11th or 12th years of school

I took a philosophy class in high school called Theory of Knowledge. I thought it was week, but only because philosophy has been an interest of mine for quite sometime.

1. What is philosophy and why is it included in the curriculum?

Philosophy is the study of fundamental questions about existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language. It is included in the curriculum because it helps students develop critical thinking skills, enhances their ability to reflect and analyze complex issues, and encourages them to challenge their own beliefs and assumptions.

2. What are the benefits of studying philosophy in school?

Studying philosophy can help students develop important skills such as critical thinking, logical reasoning, and the ability to analyze and evaluate arguments. It also allows them to explore different perspectives and develop their own beliefs and values. Additionally, philosophy can help students better understand and navigate complex ethical and moral issues.

3. Is philosophy a difficult subject to learn?

The difficulty of learning philosophy can vary for each individual. Some students may find it challenging to understand complex concepts and theories, while others may find it easier to grasp. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn and benefit from studying philosophy.

4. How does philosophy relate to other subjects in the curriculum?

Philosophy is a broad subject that encompasses many different fields such as ethics, logic, metaphysics, and epistemology. It can be applied to various subjects in the curriculum, such as history, literature, and science, to deepen students' understanding and critical thinking skills. For example, philosophical ethics can help students analyze and evaluate ethical issues in history or literature.

5. Can studying philosophy lead to a career?

Yes, studying philosophy can lead to various career paths, including law, education, journalism, and public policy. The critical thinking, analytical, and communication skills developed through studying philosophy are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, philosophy graduates often have a strong foundation for further education in fields such as law, business, or academia.