Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phlisophy of love

1. Mar 23, 2007 #1
    I don't post this topic under philosophy forums because there's no philosophical discussion involved.

I and my friend often have discussion on some philosophy topic, and he made the following statement.

1. No philosophers in the ancient times, besides Socrates, has get married.
    2. There have been no proper philosophy theory on love.

I don't have any background in philosophy, but I doubt his statements. Can anyone verify the accuracy/flaws of the statements?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to this, Aristotle's will asked that he be buried next to his wife. The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy has an article on the philosophy of love, so does the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy here. The theory even has words used by the Greeks who discussed love philosophically.
  4. Mar 24, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

Both statements are false, and AKG has given an exception to each statement.

The concept of marriage is different now that it was 2000+ years ago.

Another exception to 2, is Erich Fromm's work on the subject of Love.

and here's another exception to 2.

and yet another

In fact search Google with "Philosophy of Love" and find many exceptions. :rolleyes:
  5. Mar 24, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Didn't Aristotle talk about love himself?

He said a true friend (you can argue he meant loved one) was someone you would want to spend many moments with and not go too long without communicating and/or being in the presence of your true friend.

Aristotle himself throws both of those comments in the water.
  6. Mar 24, 2007 #5

Gold Member

I favour Harlan Ellison's philosophy regarding the matter: "Love Ain't Nothing But Sex Misspelled". :biggrin:
  7. Mar 24, 2007 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Aristotle definitely discussed love, though from what I remember from my Ethics course, his definition of things such as friendship and love were somewhat different from the modern definitions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?