Connect Telephone Line to CM8870 DTMF Decoder

• Thread starter php
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decoder
In summary, to connect a telephone line with a DTMF decoder like the CM8870, you will need to use two of the four telephone wires and add circuitry to filter out the ringing signal and scale the dial tones. For a cell phone, you will need a microphone or audio jack. There are also online resources available for further guidance.
php
hi,

how does one connect a telephone line with a DTMF decoder(e.g CM8870). i.e which telephone wires(of the 2 pairs of the telephone cable) to i connect to the 8870?

again if i use a cell/mobile phone how to i connect to the 8870?

any help will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
php said:
hi,

how does one connect a telephone line with a DTMF decoder(e.g CM8870). i.e which telephone wires(of the 2 pairs of the telephone cable) to i connect to the 8870?

again if i use a cell/mobile phone how to i connect to the 8870?

any help will be appreciated.

Well, if you look at the datasheet:
http://www.cmd.com/products/data/pdf/obsolete/cm8870.pdf

...and some background on telephone wiring:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_and_ring

Then you see that you'd probably need some circuitry before the CM8870 to filter out the -48V bell ringing signal, and scale the actual dial tones so that they don't exceed 5V.

For a cell phone, you'd need a microphone or an audio jack if the phone comes with handsfree capability.

Also, a Google search for 'DTMF Decoder' brings this up:
http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/tonedec/tonedec.html

Hello,

To connect a telephone line to a CM8870 DTMF decoder, you will need to connect the telephone wires to the appropriate pins on the decoder. The CM8870 datasheet should have a pinout diagram that shows which pins correspond to the telephone line inputs. Typically, the telephone wires will be connected to pins labeled "IN+ and IN-". As for using a cell/mobile phone, you will need to connect the phone's audio output to the IN+ and IN- pins on the decoder. This can usually be done using an audio cable with the appropriate connectors. As always, it is important to consult the datasheet for the specific decoder you are using to ensure proper connection and functionality. I hope this helps. Best of luck with your project.

1. How do I connect a telephone line to the CM8870 DTMF Decoder?

To connect a telephone line to the CM8870 DTMF Decoder, you will first need to locate the RJ11 telephone jack on the decoder. The telephone line should be plugged into this jack. You can then connect the other end of the telephone line to a telephone wall jack or directly to a telephone device.

2. What is the purpose of the CM8870 DTMF Decoder?

The CM8870 DTMF Decoder is used to convert Dual-Tone Multi-Frequency (DTMF) signals into digital signals that can be used by electronic devices. This decoder is commonly used in telephone systems to detect which numbers are being pressed on a keypad.

3. How do I test if the CM8870 DTMF Decoder is working properly?

To test if the CM8870 DTMF Decoder is working properly, you can use a telephone keypad to press different numbers and see if the decoder is able to detect and output the corresponding digital signals. You can also use a DTMF signal generator to send specific signals to the decoder and check the output.

4. Can the CM8870 DTMF Decoder be used with any type of telephone line?

Yes, the CM8870 DTMF Decoder can be used with any type of telephone line as long as it is connected properly. It is important to note that the decoder is designed to work with standard telephone lines, so it may not be compatible with digital or VoIP telephone lines.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when connecting a telephone line to the CM8870 DTMF Decoder?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when connecting a telephone line to the CM8870 DTMF Decoder. Make sure to disconnect the telephone line from any power source before connecting it to the decoder. It is also recommended to use proper grounding techniques to avoid any potential electrical hazards.