Phone died charging thru USB

In summary, it is possible for a phone to charge through a USB connection, but it may depend on the specific phone and its battery type. However, not all phones can charge through USB and there may be compatibility issues with certain chargers and devices. Additionally, some phones require software or drivers to be installed in order for USB charging to work properly. It is important to be cautious when charging a phone with a Li-Poly battery, as there is a risk of explosion.
rocomath
Ok, so my phone died :( and my outlet charger is broken so I charge it thru the USB. Does my computer have to actually recognize my phone in order for it to start charging it?

I've had it hooked for an hour now ... but it still hasn't turned on even for a second.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It may, yes. It probably depends on the phone.

If your phone has a Li-Poly battery do NOT plug it into any old place. The battery can explode and burn your house down. Not kidding, Li-Po batterys are not a joke.

yes this will work

Grr ... I think it does need to recognize it :( it's still dead.

It doesn't have to recognise it - but it does have to be able to charge through USB!
Not all phones can even though they have a USB data link.
Sometimes the charging / battery control circuits are in the charger rather than the phone. Another problem is that the USB->charger plug adaptors just put 5V into the phone with no control - I have ruined phones with these before.

1. Why did my phone die while charging through USB?

There are a few possible reasons for this. One possibility is that the USB port you were using did not provide enough power to charge your phone. Another possibility is that the USB cable you were using was damaged or of poor quality, resulting in a slow or interrupted charge. Additionally, certain apps or features on your phone may drain the battery faster than it can charge, leading to a net decrease in battery life.

2. Is charging my phone through USB bad for the battery?

Charging your phone through USB is generally safe for the battery. However, it may be slower than using a wall charger and could potentially cause stress on the battery if the USB port does not provide enough power. It is important to use a high-quality cable and ensure that the USB port you are using can adequately charge your phone.

3. Can charging my phone through USB damage my device?

Charging your phone through USB should not damage your device as long as you are using a quality cable and an appropriate power source. However, if the USB port or cable is damaged, it could potentially cause harm to your device. It is important to regularly check your charging equipment for any signs of wear and tear.

4. How long does it take to charge a phone through USB?

The time it takes to charge a phone through USB can vary depending on the device and the power source. Generally, it will take longer to charge a phone through USB compared to using a wall charger. It is also important to note that charging times may be affected by the phone's battery level, usage during charging, and the quality of the charging equipment.

5. Can I use any USB cable to charge my phone?

Not all USB cables are created equal. It is important to use a high-quality cable that is specifically designed for charging devices. Using a low-quality or damaged cable can result in slow or interrupted charging, and could potentially damage your device. It is always best to use the cable that came with your phone or purchase a reputable replacement.