Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phone Frequency Range

1. Nov 21, 2016 #1
    Hello guys!

I have become a little curious, but what is the sound frequency range of which a phone can emit (from a speaker)? Can a smartphone, like a Samsung Galaxy, emit anything below 15Hz? My main concern is that I hope my phone can emit 7.83Hz but I am a little unsure if my phone is able to do so.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2016 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Note sure. I know they have apps that allow you to set your phone to emit a single tone, but I don't know how accurately those apps and your phone create the tone. Note that it is probably very difficult for your phone's speaker to produce very low frequencies, as the size of the speaker is much, much less than the wavelength of the sound waves at those frequencies.

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3
    Ohhh ok. Yeah, it is quite difficult to find out. Thankyou for your reply!

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4

jtbell

IIRC 15Hz is in the range of the deepest bass notes produced by a pipe organ in a church or cathedral. Reproducing such notes in a home music system requires a dedicated subwoofer. A comparatively tiny smartphone might produce a tiny output at such frequencies, but whether it would be audible is another matter.

6. Nov 22, 2016 #5
    Understandable. So you are saying that most speakers, whether they be in phones or home audio systems, cannot produce sounds below 20Hz or so. Are there any special speakers of phones that are capable of producing such infrasounds? My real intention to asking this is that I heard about the Schumann Resonance which is 7.83Hz and I have been 'listening' to audio tracks for health purposes. Now, of course, I cannot actually hear that because it is out of the human range, but would the speaker on my phone even produce such a sound?

7. Nov 22, 2016 #6

Drakkith

I'm sorry to tell you that you've most likely wasted your time. The Schumann Resonances are electromagnetic resonances in the atmosphere and have little-to-nothing to do with sound. They certainly don't affect your health.

It should produce it, but the amplitude will be so low that, even if it did have some health effects, it won't matter.

8. Nov 28, 2016 #7

Svein

Science Advisor

7.83Hz - if you put a sine wave of that frequency on a loudspeaker you can see the membrane moving, but you won't hear anything. If you use a square wave, you will hear something, but that is just the overtones. Your mobile phone - using your hand, you can shake it with a 7.83Hz frequency.

9. Aug 9, 2017 #8
    You can, however use binaural beats to simulate the frequency through sound.
    Also, there are electromagnetic devices available that produce low-frequency waves, which your brainwaves attune to.
    In this way, you can sync up with the frequency if you like. 7,83 Hz is a high theta, low alpha brainwave, which is quite a relaxed wave in which you can easily absorb information.

10. Aug 9, 2017 #9

Drakkith

I don't think this is correct. To the best of my knowledge there is no clear, reputable evidence supporting the idea that low frequency waves of any type will help you learn more easily. If you have a reputable source (emphasis on reputable, see PF Terms and Rules), please send me a private message and we can discuss it. Otherwise please do not bring this topic up again.

11. Aug 9, 2017 #10
    Thank you Drakkith, that's good to know :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted