Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phone No Dial Tone DSL Works?

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    Phone No Dial Tone DSL Works???

Hi I am new to the forum and found you by googling my problem and found someone named Ray on the forum who had something similar happen a few years ago but not the same. Here is the issue:

Phone works outside the house plugged into the box.
    Phone doesnt work in any of the two jacks in the house. When I uplug DSL and hook phone up in that jack doesnt work. I cant call out just hear open line no dial tone. When someone calls me they get busy signal, (a friend tried after I asked them (via email) to call me) I only have one dsl hooked to computer and one phone in the house, nothing else. The Phone is not defective, it works at the box outside on the side of the house.
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Phone No Dial Tone DSL Works???

Does your DSL work? Did you check the other similar threads at the bottom of this page?

The last time that happened when I called DSL tech support, they cleared it by sending a signal down the line.

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

Yes, my DSL works just fine, I have been online all day. It is just the phone that does not. When someone calls me they get busy signal. I just hear dead air when i try to call out. Phone works great at the box outside the house, but I'd like to be able to use it indoors, since it is pretty cold out there this time of year.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  5. Nov 25, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

What did your DSL tech support people say?

Did you unplug EVERYTHING, icluding the DSL and then have someone call? If you did, sounds like a possible short in your inside wiring.

6. Dec 8, 2008 #5

I forgot to close this thread. The phone began working of it's own accord two days after, with no help from DSL people. They wanted to charge about 100.00 to come out and look at it. Glad I waited. The DSL never went down throughout the whole bizarre incident.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?