Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Featured A Phonon detection

1. Aug 1, 2017 #21

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Phonons are quantized displacements of a crystal (an ordered array of many atoms); a good discussion is in Coleman's "Introduction to Many Body Physics", chapter 2.4.

2. Aug 1, 2017 #22

DrDu

Science Advisor

Yes. I mean, if they aren't eigenstates of energy and crystal momentum, they are time dependent phonons but phonons nevertheless.

3. Aug 1, 2017 #23

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My bad! Carry on... :oops:

4. Aug 8, 2017 #24
    Measurements of the phonon dispersion curves (energy vs. momentum) are very standard in neutron inelastic scattering and to a lesser extent in inelastic x-ray scattering. In these experiments you detect single neutrons and x-ray photons. Each neutron/photon enters the sample will a well-defined energy and momentum (direction), and comes back out with different energy and momentum. The difference is taken up by the phonon, i.e. a phonon is created in the process (or another elementary excitation, e.g. a magnon in a magnetically ordered crystal) . So with each x-ray photon or neutron you measure a single phonon. You need x-rays or thermal neutrons rather than visible light for this because the momentum transfer is on the order of the reciprocal lattice unit.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1994/press.html
    http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0034-4885/63/2/203/meta

"Thermal diffuse scattering" of x-rays or neutrons is also caused by phonons, but in that case you do not measure the phonon's energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted