Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phonons _ Guage Bosons

1. Dec 25, 2008 #1
    Whats the difference between phonons and guage bosons?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

In classical field theory the Lagrangian of interest (which basically defines what "theory" I'm talking about) may have a symmetry. For example, it may happen that my Lagrangian doesn't change if I multiply the fields by a phase [itex]e^{i\phi}[/itex]. If I let [itex]\phi[/itex] depend on space and time (this is called "gauging") then the multiplication of the fields by [itex]e^{i\phi(x)}[/itex] no longer leaves the Lagrangian invariant. But, by introducing *more* fields called gauge fields (i.e., by changing the Lagrangian I start with, changing the theory), I can force the Lagrangian to be invariant. When I quantize the gauge fields, the resulting particles are called "gauge bosons".

When I quantize the theory of lattice vibrations, I end of with particles (which are bosons) called "phonons".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?