Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Phospholipids in cell membrane

1. Dec 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Are phospholipids cholesterol?Because in one book it says that ' cholesterol molecules, like phospholipids'. I am a little bit confused.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2011 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Cholesterol is cholesterol, phospholipids are phospholipids. They have some similar properties, which is probably what the book aims at.

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3
    Thanks,and are there any lipids apart from phospholipids?
    And why does the cholesterol fit between the phospholipids molecules? Is it because they have similar properties?

5. Dec 23, 2011 #4
    Do you mean why does bind within the bilayer, or why is it necessary for it to be there? You have to be a tad more specific.

There are many types of lipid present in the cell membrane, most of these are glycolipids: sugars attached to a lipid molecule (often the phospho-lipid bilayer but not exclusively).

6. Dec 26, 2011 #5
    I want to know why does bind within the player.

7. Dec 26, 2011 #6
    What are the properties of phospholipds that mean they form a bilayer? Does cholesterol have these properties? I think if you answer these questions you'll have your answer. However, cholesterol also has some special properties of its own.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook