1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phosphorus gas?

1. Aug 24, 2003 #1
    My last chemistry class was in the 7th grade (currently 10th grader) so bear with me. Last year duing a biology class we were talking about ecology and how phosphorus would cycle through the environment. The reason that the phosphorus cycle is interesting is because phosphorus cannot be a gas, or so my teacher said. I Immediatly questioned this because in my chemistry class i remeber hearing that elements can be in any of the 4 states, but my teacher insisted that it could not. So, who was right?
    -HBar

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

He probably meant within a living organism. Phosphoros bnoils at just over 500o (like maybe 550?).

4. Aug 25, 2003 #3
    Your teacher was right. Technically phosphorous can be a gas, but not in the biosphere, the temperature never gets hot enough. And besides, it doesn't occur as elemental phosphorous in the cycle but as inorganic phosphates.

5. Aug 25, 2003 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There are detectable phosphines floating about in the biosphere in the vapor phase --- that said, the quantity is probably insignificant as far as atmospheric transport of phosphorus.

6. Aug 25, 2003 #5
    I agree with him that natural vaporizing phosphorus in nature is a rare sight, but he claimed that it couldn't be a gas at all. Or maybe it was just a miscomunication.
    But this brings up another question. Can all the elements be in all the 4 states?

7. Aug 26, 2003 #6
    I'm thinking it was a miscommunication. He probably meant it couldn't be a gas in the context of the phosphorous cycle.

To answer your question, yes, all elements can exist in all 4 states, with one exception. It is believed that helium will remain a liquid at absolute zero, but of course we'll never know.

8. Aug 28, 2003 #7
    Ahh, that's good to know. I was wondering about that for awhile. I have heard the same about helium, but i thought it was it cannot become a solid at absolute zero at 1 atmosphere of presure. I think that if the presure is increased it can become a solid.
    -HBar

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?