Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photo attachment

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    Is there a way to attach a photo to your post? I can't find one. I think there's a photo appreciation thread on this site but I haven't found a way to attach a photo yet. Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's best if you upload your photo on a third-party server and then provide a link to it. It saves PF resources.

4. Jun 25, 2016 #3
    How do you do that?

5. Jun 25, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do what exactly? Upload your photo on a third-party server?

6. Jun 25, 2016 #5
    Yes. All I want to do is attach a photo to a post I'm intending to make. Please tell me how to do this and the most economical way to save PF resources :woot:

7. Jun 25, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

http://s5.photobucket.com Click upload at the top and follow the steps.

Then after you did it, save the link to your picture and click "Image" when making a new message, it's next to the smiley button.

8. Jun 25, 2016 #7
    OMG. I have to sign up for a facebook account to post a photo here? I don't do facebook. Pretty weird how prohibitive the posting of images here at PF is. I guess in all the time I've been a member of the community I never cared to share a personal photo, and now when I feel comfortable enough to do so, I'm forced to to join the facebook community, which I'll never do, because they suck

9. Jun 25, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You don't need a facebook account at all. You just need a way to upload your picture on a third party site. The site I linked doesn't require a facebook account.

10. Jun 25, 2016 #9
    Ok, I got it. Thanks Micromass. Check out my post in General discussion, Asteroids Nostagia

11. Jun 25, 2016 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can also use the "upload" button at the bottom right. The forums cache images anyway (= it holds a temporary copy on its servers), uploading it to external services does not save any bandwidth, just a tiny bit of storage. In addition, uploading it here makes sure that it does not get deleted or modified by the external hoster.

12. Jun 26, 2016 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Jun 26, 2016 #12

jtbell

Then click "Browse" and navigate through your file system to the image that you want to upload. The maximum size is 960x720 pixels, so you may need to resize your image using some kind of image-editing software first.

14. Jun 26, 2016 #13

mfb

2016 Award

The forum resized images that are too large automatically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted