Photo Contest - Things That Go Bump In The Night (5/16-5/24)

In summary, the contest is for night shots pictures. Pictures must be taken at night, and are limited to 650 x 490 pixels. The photo with the most votes at the end of the contest period will be selected as the winner.
Thanks Zz, I have the perfect church to foto, but no camera :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
ToxicBug and Zz's are the best now. Zz's is so good good—you can see fine detail. However ToixicBug's is quite pleasingly artistic.

Er... russ, if you're going to submit something to our contest, you'll (i) have to pick just one and (ii) have it uploaded to one of the photo server. I'm not accepting attachments.

Zz.

D'oh, sorry. Perhaps I should start reading the rules... I'll fix it.

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/wolf.JPG

Pumpkin

Last edited by a moderator:
You didn't take this picture yourself, did you?

Integral said:

Pumpkin
OOOH! Cool! Did you carve that design?

What is that?

heartless said:
What is that?

...Erm, mine?

yeah, your's. I'm not able to recognize the mysterious object therefore I need to ask. I'd be glad to know about it. :)

It's a streetlamp that sits outside my house. :) Not that interesting, I must say.

I like it. It's quite interesting to me. I have a strange feeling looking at it. I inverted its colors in Gimp, it also looks cool the other way.

Thanks! :) I took two, but I really liked the color in that one, it seems almost surreal.

ZapperZ said:
You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

So I don't think that's allowed... I don't really care though.

I figure that modification means putting it in photoshop and giving a bird a third eye... wouldn't it?

If you took the picture using a setting that's available with your camera, then that's perfectly OK. The only thing that's prohibited is akin to "post processing", i.e. modifying your picture using Photoshop, etc.

Zz.

Integral said:

Pumpkin
First thing on seeing that picture I saw was the fence. Puzzles me.. :confused:

Math Is Hard said:
OOOH! Cool! Did you carve that design?

My wife did that one.

Mk said:
First thing on seeing that picture I saw was the fence. Puzzles me.. :confused:
What is puzzling? The pumpkin is sitting on my deck, in the near back ground is the deck railing, the top of my fence is silhouetted in the far back ground.

Integral said:
My wife did that one.
Amazing work! :approve:

I failed to notice the wolf (or whichever animal it is) for a long time. :bugeye:

ZapperZ said:
If you took the picture using a setting that's available with your camera, then that's perfectly OK. The only thing that's prohibited is akin to "post processing", i.e. modifying your picture using Photoshop, etc.

Zz.
Actually, the camera does post-processing also. I can set mine to bump up the sharpness, saturation, and contrast, as well as the white balance is post processing of course! So that negative feature that he has, that's post-processing, only its done by the camera and not a software application. Just so you know :)

I think everyone here is aware of the "spirit" of this contest - which is more of a composition/subject matter rather than "look, I can get special effects in my photograph". In the end, I can't police such a thing and I leave it up to the voting members if a photo has more to do with the skill of the photographer or the skill of digital manipulation.

Zz.

Since I don't have any skill, am I authorized to use cheesy special effects?

Ivan Seeking said:
Since I don't have any skill, am I authorized to use cheesy special effects?

Nope... because it'll just make your picture looks... er ... cheesy.

I'd say that it is safe to assume that most of us here are not professional photographers (I certain am not). I can easly make sure of that by including a "no professional photographers" in the contest rule. But at some point, all of this will start becoming tedious and no longer fun. That is not what this whole contest is about.

Zz.

I plan to try for something nearly every week. Every now and again I manage a good shot.

I hope this continues. It's fun.

Ivan Seeking said:
I plan to try for something nearly every week. Every now and again I manage a good shot.

Me too, even when I'm the one running it, and even when I come in last in the voting! :)

Zz.

She. Please and thank you.

I didn't use any software, and I did nothing to it after the actual photo was taken (Other the resize it), it was just something to enter. If it really bothers some one, I'll delete it. :)

Nope. I'd say don't delete it.

Zz.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/801/copyofimg28860or.jpg
Took this one on my holiday in Italy last christmas. Had no tripod so I took the photo about 10 times before I got one that was reasonably clear. Can't remember the name of the building though. Can't work out how to make it come up big.

[ZapperZ : I edited your post to correct the IMG tags and to use the right image link. Please use this syntax if you wish to submit pictures in future contest]