Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photo-Tour of Chernobyl

1. Apr 10, 2004 #1

Science Advisor

Thought some might find this article interesting. It is a biker-chick's ride through the radioactive lands around the reactor.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes, I should have linked to this sweet and affecting photo essay myself. Note the subtext: It wasn't the radiation so much as the social and governmental reaction to it that produced the wasteland she shows us.
  4. Apr 13, 2004 #3

Staff: Mentor

Eerie, eerie pictures - she really should write an article and publish it.
  5. Apr 24, 2004 #4
    Hi All,

Actually i submitted her site to Headline News (CNN) environmental section by email. Since recently the 3 mile island anniversary passed us here in the US. I would love to see a professional grade documentary based on "Chernoblyl" 20 plus years later. (perhaps even using material from this biker in Russia who's father is a Nuclear Physicist doing research in that region for the government)

Recently i saw a national geographic special on "3 Mile Island". That reactor was 30 minutes away from the China Syndrome aka Meltdown. Meaning the nuclear core reaching 4k to 5k faherheit melting through it's concrete bunker due to lack of heavy water. Then the nuclear core going into the ground about a half a mile and causing a mini-earthquake spewing it's fall out into the air and region around it.

Perhaps those of us interested in this, can submit that bikers link to news agencies asking them to cover her story or the story 20 yrs after now.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?