1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectic effect and units

1. Jun 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    HI, I have this photoelectric effect problem, it is not so difficult but when i got to the units and red about it , i got confused.
    The Problem : Photo-electrons are completely hold up by electric potential with potential of 3V. The work function is given. I have to calculate the incident light frequency.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So the equation is
    Emax=hfinc

And the units are
    [V]=[J]-[J]
    This does not work. So I thought lets convert them to eV which is possible for [J].
    But when I start to think about the V -> eV its gets confusing because V are not measurement of energy but eV are.

So what do you think guys, can I just do the conversion from [v] to [ev] by multiplying V by e or it is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2016 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Emax does not denote the stopping potential, but the kinetic energy of a photoelectron. You need to find the relationship between electric potential and energy of a charge in a field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted