Photoelectric Effect and electrostatic potential

Therefore, the current ejected from the ball as a function of time can be described as a linear decrease from its initial value to zero at the stopping voltage.In summary, the magnitude of the current ejected from the silver ball in a vacuum chamber, as well as the electrostatic potential of the ball, will both change as a function of time due to the photoelectric effect and accumulation of charge. The current will decrease linearly with respect to the potential until it reaches zero at the stopping voltage.
ems

Homework Statement

A silver ball is suspended by an insulating string in a vacuum chamber and light of wavelength 200nm is directed at it. The ball and the chamber are both initially at zero electrostatic potential. Electrons ejected from the ball causes the electrostatic potential to change.
Describe the magnitude of the current ejected from the ball and the electrostatic potential of the ball, both as a function of time, assuming the radiation stays constant. Assume the current changes linearly with respect to the potential and that the capacitance of the ball is C.

The work function of silver (4.7 eV) is also given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand physically what is happening in this problem. The radiation causes electrons to be ejected and causes charge build-up on the walls of the chamber and the ball which increases the electrostatic potential. Also, I realize that as the potential increases, it is more difficult for the charge to flow, and when the potential reaches the stopping voltage (I already calculated this to be 1.5 eV), there will be no current flow.
I just can't work out the problem on paper using the linear relationship... help!

Physics news on Phys.org

I can provide a solution to this problem by considering the principles of electrostatics and the photoelectric effect.

Firstly, we know that the photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where electrons are ejected from a material when light of a certain wavelength (in this case, 200nm) is incident on it. The work function of silver (4.7 eV) tells us the minimum energy required to eject an electron from the surface of the silver ball.

Next, we can consider the electrostatic potential of the silver ball. Initially, both the ball and the chamber are at zero electrostatic potential. As electrons are ejected from the ball, the potential will increase due to the accumulation of negative charge on the surface of the ball. This increase in potential will make it more difficult for electrons to be ejected, as you correctly stated. This can be described by the equation:

V = q/C

Where V is the electrostatic potential, q is the charge on the ball, and C is the capacitance of the ball. We can rearrange this equation to solve for q:

q = CV

Substituting in the stopping voltage of 1.5 eV, we can calculate the maximum charge that can accumulate on the ball before the potential reaches this value.

q = (C)(1.5 eV)

Now, we can consider the current ejected from the ball. The rate of electron ejection is directly proportional to the intensity of the light and the number of electrons per unit time that are ejected from the surface of the ball. This can be described by the equation:

I = Φ*E*A

Where I is the current, Φ is the photoelectric effect constant (which depends on the intensity of the light and the properties of the material), E is the energy of the incident light, and A is the surface area of the ball. We can also substitute in the work function of silver (4.7 eV) and the energy of the incident light (200nm = 6.2 eV) to calculate the current ejected from the ball.

I = (4.7 eV)(6.2 eV)(A)

We can also rewrite this equation in terms of potential:

I = (4.7 eV)(6.2 eV)(A) / CV

Now, we can see that the current ejected from the ball is directly proportional to the electrostatic potential. As the potential increases, the

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when photons of light with enough energy strike a material, causing electrons to be ejected from its surface. This is due to the fact that the photons transfer their energy to the electrons, allowing them to overcome the binding energy of the material.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of light and the energy of the emitted electrons in the photoelectric effect?

According to Einstein's equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency, the energy of the emitted electrons is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light. This means that increasing the frequency of light will result in higher energy electrons being emitted.

4. How does the electrostatic potential affect the photoelectric effect?

The electrostatic potential, or voltage, applied to a material can affect the photoelectric effect by altering the energy of the electrons within the material. A higher voltage will increase the energy of the electrons, making them easier to be ejected from the material's surface.

5. What are some practical applications of the photoelectric effect and electrostatic potential?

The photoelectric effect and electrostatic potential have many practical applications, including solar panels, photodetectors, and electron microscopes. They are also used in various industrial processes such as electroplating and air purification systems.