Photoelectric effect and moving from A to B

In summary, the conversation discusses the photoelectric effect and the movement of electrons from surface A to surface B. Initially, there is a discussion about the work function and how it is related to the kinetic energy of the electron. However, it is then revealed that the electron does not actually travel out of the metal, but rather appears instantaneously with kinetic energy equal to the energy of the photon minus the work function. The work function represents the minimum amount of energy needed for the electron to leave the surface, taking into account the interactions between the electron and surrounding atoms. While it is generally accepted that the ejected electron is a conduction electron, it is also possible for it to come from an atom. The concept of non-locality of con
Cheman
Photoelectric effect and moving from A to B...

When originally reading about the photoelectric, i guess i was looking at the electrons a bit classically yet using the quantum model of the photon, but it did appear to make sense when concerning the work function. I thought that when it was struck by the photon, the electron gained the photon's energy and thus began to move with kinetic energy equivilent to the photon's energy away from the atom. However, it would still be attracted to the positive ions making up the atom and thus would start to decelerate - if the kinetic energy was not sufficient then the electron would not escape but if it was then it would escape.
This is what I THOUGHT the work function was - this attractiveness which meant that the kintic energy of the electron would be the energy gained from the photon minus this work function. HOWEVER, I have since been told by my teacher and read in my textbook that apparently the electron does not actually travel out of the metal - it simply "appears instantaneously outside its surface with kinetic energy equal to the energy of the phton minus the work funtion". So what actually IS the work function then? It obviously can't be what I thought if the elctron does not actually move out of the metal - there would be no chance for the deceleration I mentioned.

I also have a second, partially related, question. (though I would prefer my 1st to be address primerily. :biggrin: ) My physics teacher has told me that if I wish to understand how things really work on an atomic level "... ... need to get out of .. [my].. head this stupid idea of things moving from A to B - it doesn't actually happen like that! Electrons in orbitals, atoms as a whole - nothing actually moves from A to B". So what actually happens?! :confused: And why do cars, balls, etc, appear to move like that despite being composed of atoms?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy of the incident photon (which is localized enough to be considered ONE particle : this was the ingenius quantum-aspect of this theory) is used to eject some electron from an atom. the work function expresses the minimum amount of energy necessary for the ejected electrons to leave the surface. That is the definition. Where the electron comes from is not that important. The reason why there is energy, necessary for leaving the surface is because once the electron is ejected from the atom by the incident photon, other interactions occur between the electron and surrounding atoms. This effect is represented into the work function. But indeed you need to look at it like this : the electron pops up at the surface of the material after the interaction of the photon with the atom (ie the electron-ejection). Then in order for the electron to leave the surface, some amount of energy is necessary (this is the workfunction). The reason for this extra energy are the effects the electron felt when moving to the surface. It is just a way of representing the physical reality

But indeed in QM, we don't actually look at the electron as being an electron that travels from the place where it got ejected towards the surface (although the workfunction DOES represent that effect)...

regards
marlon

marlon said:
The energy of the incident photon (which is localized enough to be considered ONE particle : this was the ingenius quantum-aspect of this theory) is used to eject some electron from an atom.

marlon it has been years since i went over this photoelectric effect picture
and I am no expert (far from it)

but I tend to suspect that the electron that the photon excites and makes go from surface A to surface B
is NOT EJECTED FROM AN ATOM
I tend to suspect that it is a conduction electron that is already up in the conduction band of the metal

so the work of detaching it from the surface would start at that point, not at the point where and electron is bound in an atom.

Could this be right? I have no authoritative source handy. perhaps you can tell me.

:confused:

Cheman
did
my post not please you ?What is unclear about it ?

marlon

marcus said:
marlon it has been years since i went over this photoelectric effect picture
and I am no expert (far from it)

but I tend to suspect that the electron that the photon excites and makes go from surface A to surface B
is NOT EJECTED FROM AN ATOM
I tend to suspect that it is a conduction electron that is already up in the conduction band of the metal

so the work of detaching it from the surface would start at that point, not at the point where and electron is bound in an atom.

Could this be right? I have no authoritative source handy. perhaps you can tell me.

I think you need to look at it like this. You certainly have a point here. the probability for this electron to be a conduction electron is higher because less energy is necessary to "eject it". These electrons feel a weaker interaction with the surrounding atomic nuclei and therefore they are quasi-free and delocalized. But it might as well happen with electrons coming from atoms themselves...

regards
marlon

But then again marcus, i wonder is the non-locality of conduction electrons not going to be a problem ?

Just wondering

marlon

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain wavelength. This effect was first discovered by Albert Einstein and has been instrumental in understanding the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

When light of a specific energy (or frequency) hits the surface of a material, it transfers its energy to electrons within the material. If the energy of the light is high enough, it can overcome the binding energy of the electrons and cause them to be emitted from the material. This is known as the photoelectric effect.

3. What is meant by "moving from A to B" in relation to the photoelectric effect?

In this context, "moving from A to B" refers to the movement of electrons from their original position in a material (A) to a new position (B) when they are emitted due to the photoelectric effect.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light, or the amount of light energy hitting the material per unit area, does not affect the photoelectric effect. However, increasing the intensity of light can result in a larger number of electrons being emitted, as more photons are available to transfer their energy to the electrons.

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect has been significant in understanding the nature of light and the behavior of electrons in materials. It also has practical applications, such as in solar panels where light energy is converted into electrical energy, and in photomultiplier tubes used in scientific instruments to detect and measure light.