Photoelectric effect classical approach

In summary: This can also be interpreted as the light intensity at the surface of the atom. In summary, the light intensity in ev/m2*s for a point source of 3 watt of light energy is 4.68x1018 ev/m^2*s. The energy per unit time incident on an atom with a reasonable size of 10^-10m is 3.83 x 10^-10 ev/m^2*s.
mathilin

Homework Statement

Assume that a point source of light gives 3 watt = 3 J/s of light energy.

a) assume uniform radiation in all dirrections, find the light intensity in ev/m2*s
b)Assuming some reasonable size for an atom, **** the energy/time incident on the atom for this intensity.

Homework Equations

resonable atom size = 10-10m
I = E/(area*t)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I think I got this one correct, however I'm not sure. Here is what I did:
I=E/(area*time) = ((3J/s)*(6.24x1018 ev/J))/(4 m2*s)
= 4.68X1018 ev/m^2*s

b) I have no idea what to do with this. I was thinking maybe find the surface area of the atom and divide that by the intensity? which would lead to (10-20)/4.68X1018 ev/m^2*s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
but that doesn't seem right. Any help would be appreciated.For part b), you are on the right track. The energy per unit time incident on the atom can be calculated by dividing the total energy (3 J/s) by the surface area of the atom (assuming it is a sphere with radius 10^-10m). This will give you the energy per unit time per unit area incident on the atom, which is the same as the light intensity at that point.

So, the calculation would be:
E/t = (3 J/s) / (4π*(10^-10 m)^2)
= 2.39 x 10^9 J/m^2*s

This is the energy per unit time incident on the atom. This value can also be expressed in units of ev/m^2*s by dividing by the conversion factor of 6.24 x 10^18 J/ev:
E/t = (2.39 x 10^9 J/m^2*s) / (6.24 x 10^18 J/ev)
= 3.83 x 10^-10 ev/m^2*s

So, the energy per unit time incident on the atom for this intensity is 3.83 x 10^-10 ev/m^2*s. This means that for every square meter of the atom's surface, 3.83 x 10^-10 ev of energy is incident on it every second.

, which would give me a really small number. But I'm not sure if this is the correct approach or if I'm even on the right track.

I would like to clarify that the classical approach to the photoelectric effect is based on the assumption that light is a wave and energy is transferred continuously. However, according to quantum mechanics, light is made up of discrete packets of energy called photons. The photoelectric effect cannot be explained using the classical approach and requires the understanding of the quantum nature of light.

Now, to address the given problem, assuming a point source of light with an energy output of 3 watts, the light intensity can be calculated using the formula I = E/(area*time). This gives a value of 4.68x10^18 ev/m^2*s.

For part b, we need to consider the reasonable size of an atom (10^-10 m) and the energy/time incident on the atom for the given intensity. This can be calculated by dividing the intensity by the surface area of the atom. However, it should be noted that this calculation is based on the classical approach and may not accurately represent the photoelectric effect. A more accurate approach would require the use of quantum mechanics and the understanding of the energy levels of the atom.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This effect was first observed and explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. What is the classical approach to understanding the photoelectric effect?

The classical approach to understanding the photoelectric effect is based on the assumption that light is a wave and that the energy of the electrons emitted is dependent on the intensity of the light. This approach was later found to be inadequate in fully explaining the phenomenon.

3. How does the classical approach explain the relationship between light intensity and electron energy?

The classical approach explains that as the intensity of light increases, the energy of the emitted electrons also increases. This is because the intensity of light is directly proportional to the number of photons, and each photon carries a certain amount of energy that is transferred to the electrons upon absorption.

4. What are the limitations of the classical approach in explaining the photoelectric effect?

The classical approach fails to explain certain observations, such as the energy of the emitted electrons being independent of the frequency of the incident light, and the threshold frequency below which no electrons are emitted regardless of the light intensity. This led to the development of the quantum theory of light.

5. How does the quantum theory of light provide a better understanding of the photoelectric effect?

The quantum theory of light explains the photoelectric effect by treating light as a stream of particles, called photons, rather than a wave. It also introduces the concept of the photon energy being directly proportional to the frequency of the light, rather than its intensity. This theory provides a more accurate explanation of the observations and is used in modern understanding of the photoelectric effect.