1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric effect problem

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The wavelength treshold for photoelectric emission from a sodium surface is 683 nm. Calculate the energy of the electrons which are ejected when a sodium surface is illuminated by light of wavelength 500 nm. If the intensity of the light is 2.0 W/m^2 and if 1 per cent of incident photons produce photoelectrons, estimate the number of electrons emitted per second from a sodium surface of area 2*10^-4 m^2 when it is illuminated by light of the wavelength 500 nm.

2. The attempt at a solution

The treshold wavelength corresponds to a treshold frequency of 6E14 Hz, which in turn corresponds to a electron binding energy of 2.91E-19 J.

This means that the energy of the electrons which are ejected is K = 1.1E-19J.

Next, we observe that since the surface area is 2E-4 m^2, the total effect is 4E-4 W, and hence 4E-4 J of energy hit the surface each second.

Since 1 per cent of this energy produces photoelectrons, the total photoelectron energy per second is 4E-6 J.

Since each photoelectron has energy 1.1E-19, my estimated number of photoelectrons is 4E-6/1.1E-19 = 3.6E13 photoelectrons.

My book says 1.0E13. What have I done wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You divided by the KE of the ejected electrons instead of the energy of the incident photons.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?