1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric Effect - Query

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    Im trying to get my head around a question in a book as i thought it would be good to give them ago as im struggling.

The question is:

Explain why a metal plate does not lose its charge when;

a) the plate is + charged and illuminated with visible light.

b) the plate is - charged and illuminated with UV light

Also, when given wavelength and power of a wave, how do you work out the number of photons emitted per second?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2
    a)Even though the plate are being exposed for visible light, the light has not enough energy to free electrons from the metal.

b)The plate has already a negative charge, and wont become positive if you expose it to UV light. The effect releases electrons, its not filling up whit them.

4. Feb 21, 2006 #3
    I have a question about the photoelectric effect. Does it cause metal to decay? It involves emission of electrons from the metal and as far as I know there are no electrons being replaced: does the light cause the metal to break down after a long period of time?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?