Photoelectric effect vs Compton scattering

In summary: This is incorrect. Increasing intensity of light does have an effect on the photoelectric effect. The photoelectric effect is the emission of electrons from a material when light shines on it. The higher the intensity of the light, the more electrons are emitted.3. Classical resonance does not applyClassical resonance does apply to the photoelectric effect. This is when an atom absorbs energy from a light and then releases an electron. In the photoelectric effect, the atom must be in a state where it is able to absorb the energy of the photon.4. In compton, the freq of the scattered light changesThis is incorrect. Compton scattering does not change the frequency of the light. The frequency of the light
vela said:
If you analyze the absorption of a photon by a free electron, you'll find you can't conserve both energy and momentum, so with Compton scattering, the scattered photon has to be there. With the photoelectric effect, the rest of the atom absorbs the extra momentum, so the electron can effectively take off with all the energy provided by the photon.

First I have to admit that I am not very familiar with the Compton scattering. I just wonder if I assume that in an "absorption of a photon like" interaction of the photon and electron, the whole photon momentum is passed to the electron and as a result the electron gets the relativistic kinetic energy (γ-1)m0c^2 instead of 1/2mv^2
Would that solve the problem (that part of the photon has to remain)?

Physics news on Phys.org
'the rest of the atom absorbs the extra momentum, so the electron can effectively take off with all the energy provided by the photon'.
The ejected electron has a maximum KE of (hf - W) where hf is the energy of the photon and W is the work function of the metal

Dickfore said:
For typical crystals [itex]a \sim 5 \stackrel{o}{A}[/itex]. Take an Avogadro number of atoms, and one electron per atom ([itex]N_e = 1[/itex]). We have:
[tex]
\Delta E = 0.246 \times \frac{(6.626 \times 10^{-34})^{2}}{9.11 \times 10^{-31} \times (5 \times 10^{-10})^2} \times (6.022 \times 10^{23})^{\frac{-1}{3}} \, \mathrm{J} \times \frac{1 \, \mathrm{eV}}{1.602 \times 10^{-19} \, \mathrm{J}} = 2.9 \times 10^{-5} \, \mathrm{eV}
[/tex]
Dickfore, thanks for that, I’m always grateful for an worked out example. But I’m afraid you only proved SC’s argument to be correct. If I understand you correctly then there would be an extra energy gap of nearly 30 μeV when adding 1 atom to a total of 6E23 atoms. That energy gap is much bigger then I imagined. I can nearly measure such a voltage on my poxy £8.59 multimeter. No need for lab equipment capable of measuring 10^-12 eV and smaller.

Per Oni said:
Dickfore, thanks for that, I’m always grateful for an worked out example. But I’m afraid you only proved SC’s argument to be correct. If I understand you correctly then there would be an extra energy gap of nearly 30 μeV when adding 1 atom to a total of 6E23 atoms. That energy gap is much bigger then I imagined. I can nearly measure such a voltage on my poxy £8.59 multimeter. No need for lab equipment capable of measuring 10^-12 eV and smaller.

The Boltzmann constant is 8.6e-5 eV/K.

You might stand a chance of measuring this below a temperature of 0.3K. I agree that the price of the voltmeter is completely negligible...

M Quack said:
The Boltzmann constant is 8.6e-5 eV/K.

You might stand a chance of measuring this below a temperature of 0.3K. I agree that the price of the voltmeter is completely negligible...
Nah…. Not in my UK kitchen, all should work out fine.

Per Oni said:
If I understand you correctly then there would be an extra energy gap of nearly 30 μeV when adding 1 atom to a total of 6E23 atoms.

We're talking about electrons here, and the energy separation of their energy eigenvalues in a solid composed of 1 mole of atoms, each contributing 1 valence electron.

mike168 said:
First I have to admit that I am not very familiar with the Compton scattering. I just wonder if I assume that in an "absorption of a photon like" interaction of the photon and electron, the whole photon momentum is passed to the electron and as a result the electron gets the relativistic kinetic energy (γ-1)m0c^2 instead of 1/2mv^2
Would that solve the problem (that part of the photon has to remain)?
If you assume the free electron absorbs the photon, you'll find the assumption leads to contradictions. If you conserve momentum, you'll find energy isn't conserved, and vice versa. So the logical conclusion is that the electron can't absorb a photon. Only with a scattered photon in the picture can you conserve both energy and momentum.

vela said:
Only with a scattered photon in the picture can you conserve both energy and momentum.

Thank you vela. I shall take your word for it.

2.4 Interactions of X-Rays and Gamma Rays in Matter

X-rays and gamma rays are both high-energy photons. In the energy range
1–100 keV, these photons are usually called X-rays and above 100 keV they are
usually called gamma rays. Some authors use the term ‘gamma rays’ to refer to any
photon of nuclear origin, regardless of its energy. In these notes, I often use the term
‘gamma ray’ for any photon of energy larger than 1 keV. In the next few sections,
the interactions of gamma rays with matter are discussed.

Photoelectric effect. If a charged particle penetrates in matter, it will interact with
all electrons and nuclei on its trajectory. The energy and momentum exchanged in
most of these interactions are very small, but together, these give rise to the different processes discussed in the previous chapter. When a photon penetrates in
matter, nothing happens until the photon undergoes one interaction on one single
atom. Gamma rays can interact with matter in many different ways, but the only
three interaction mechanisms that are important for nuclear measurements are the
photoelectric effect, the Compton effect and the electron–positron pair creation.
In the photoelectric absorption process, a photon undergoes an interaction with
an atom and the photon completely disappears. The energy of the photon is used
to increase the energy of one of the electrons in the atom. This electron can either
be raised to a higher level within the atom or can become a free photoelectron. If
the energy of gamma rays is sufficiently large, the electron most likely to intervene in the photoelectric effect is the most tightly bound or K-shell electron. The
photoelectron then appears with an energy given by In this equation, Z represents the charge of the nucleus andEthe energy of the Xray. The coefficient ‘n’ varies between 4 and 5 over the energy range of interest. The photoelectric cross section is a steeply decreasing function of energy (see Fig. 2.17).
Every time the photon energy crosses the threshold corresponding to the binding
energy of a deeper layer of electrons, the cross section suddenly increases. Such
jumps in the cross section are clearly visible in Figs. 2.17 and 2.18.

Compton scattering. Compton scattering is the elastic collision between a photon
and an electron. This process is illustrated in Fig. 2.14. This is a process that can
only be understood from the point of view of quantum mechanics.
A photon is a particle with energy ω. From Eq. (1.1), we know that the photon
has an impulse momentumω/c. Energy and momentum conservation constrain the
energy and the direction of the final state photon. Using energy and momentum
conservation, it is straightforward to show that the following relation holds (see
Exercise 2):
By using straightforward energy conservation, we ignore the fact that the electrons
are not free particles but are bound in the atoms, and this will cause deviations from
the simple expression above.
The value of the Compton scattering cross section for photon collisions on free
electrons can only be derived from a true relativistic and quantum mechanical calculation. It is known as the Nishina–Klein formula (see Ref. [4] and references
therein).
Equation (2.11) gives the differential cross section for the Compton scattering
into a solid angle dΩ. Integration over all angles gives the total cross section σ.
The result of the integration is given in Ref. [4]. For energies either much larger or
much smaller than the electron mass, a simple and compact expression for the total
cross section is obtained.
In these formulas, r
0 represents the classical electron radius introduced in Sect.
1.2. We see that for photon energies below the mass of the electron, the Compton
cross section is independent of energy, and for photon energies above the electron
mass, the cross section decreases as (energy)−1
The Nishina–Klein formula only applies to scattering of gamma rays from free
electrons. If the photon energy is much larger than the binding energy of electrons
in atoms, the effects due to this binding are small.
If the gamma energy is small, there is a large probability that the recoil electron
remains bound in the atom after the collision. The atom as a whole takes up the
energy and the momentum transferred to the electron. In this case the interaction is
called coherent Compton scattering or Rayleigh scattering. If the Compton interaction ejects the electron from the atom, the interaction is called incoherent Compton
scattering.
The angular distribution of Compton scattering described by Eq. (2.11) is illustrated in Fig. 2.15. For photon energies much below the electron mass, the scattering
is rather isotropic and back-scattering is about as likely as scattering in the forward
direction. If the photon energy is much larger than the electron mass, the scattering
is peaked into the forward direction.

Experimental Techniques in Nuclear and Particle Physics

https://alpha.physics.uoi.gr/kokkas/books/Detectors/S.Tavernier-Experimental%20Techniques%20in%20%20Nuclear%20and%20Particle%20Physics(2010)%20.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
stacker said:
Experimental Techniques in Nuclear and Particle Physics

https://alpha.physics.uoi.gr/kokkas/books/Detectors/S.Tavernier-Experimental%20Techniques%20in%20%20Nuclear%20and%20Particle%20Physics(2010)%20.pdf

There's a lot of things written here that are specific to interaction of gamma photons with solids, and NOT relevant to the typical photoelectric effect that one often sees with visible light. For example, the interaction of the photon in the visible light on solids is NOT with "an atom". The interaction is with the conduction electron, which does not belong to any particular atom.

Not sure why this is being posted now to a thread that's a year old.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator: