Photoelectric Effect: Question on Quantum Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on quantum physics related to the photoelectric effect. The question asks for the stopping potential required to stop all electrons from reaching the anode when light of wavelength 420nm is incident on a sample of sodium with a work function of 3.67*10-19 J. The conversation provides guidance on how to approach the problem, which involves calculating the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons and then determining the potential difference needed to stop them. It is also noted that the potential difference can be calculated in electron volts (eV).
ghostbuster25
Ok guys got a question on quantum physics - photoelectric effect i want to run past you before i attempt a solution.

The question is as follows;

In a photoelectric-effect experiment, light of wavelength 420nm is incident on a sample of sodium. The work function of sodium is 3.67*10-19 J.
Calculate the stopping potential required to stop all electrons from reaching the anode.

I don't really know where to start as I am not completely sure on what the question is asking for.
I know how to work out the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons by way of hf-work funtion, but i KNOW this isn't the way to approach it.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
No you are correct. Calculate the max ke of the electrons as you suggest.
Then it's a case of what pd would stop electrons with this ke.
A hint: it's exactly the opposite case of what ke electrons would gain if accelerated from rest through that pd. Same formula. Same principle. Just deceleration rather than acceleration.

Stonebridge said:
No you are correct. Calculate the max ke of the electrons as you suggest.
Then it's a case of what pd would stop electrons with this ke.
A hint: it's exactly the opposite case of what ke electrons would gain if accelerated from rest through that pd. Same formula. Same principle. Just deceleration rather than acceleration.

hi thanks for the reply,
when you say pd are do you mean the potential difference?

ghostbuster25 said:
hi thanks for the reply,
when you say pd are do you mean the potential difference?

Yes, sure. Pardon my abbreviations when in a hurry!
The potential difference you calculate in this case (deceleration rather than acceleration) is the "stopping potential" you need.

This problem seems like a trick to get you to calculate the electron energy in eV!

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. It was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887, and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 using the concept of photons and the quantization of energy.

2. How does the photoelectric effect demonstrate the particle-wave duality of light?

The photoelectric effect demonstrates the particle nature of light, as it shows that light is made up of discrete packets of energy called photons. At the same time, it also demonstrates the wave nature of light, as the energy of each photon is directly proportional to the frequency of the light, which is a characteristic of waves.

3. What is the work function in the context of the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to be emitted from a material. It is different for different materials and is dependent on factors such as the type of material, its surface properties, and the wavelength of the incident light.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the photoelectric effect. However, it does indirectly affect it by determining the number of photons that hit the material per unit time, which in turn affects the number of electrons emitted per unit time.

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect in the development of quantum physics?

The photoelectric effect played a crucial role in the development of quantum physics as it provided evidence for the existence of photons and the quantization of energy. It also helped to establish the concept of wave-particle duality and the idea that energy is not continuous but rather comes in discrete packets.