1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric effect

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    Ok guys got a question on quantum physics - photoelectric effect i wanna run past you before i attempt a solution.

The question is as follows;

In a photoelectric-effect experiment, light of wavelength 420nm is incident on a sample of sodium. The work function of sodium is 3.67*10-19 J.
    Calculate the stopping potential required to stop all electrons from reaching the anode.

I dont really know where to start as im not completly sure on what the question is asking for.
    I know how to work out the maximum kinetic energy of the ejected electrons by way of hf-work funtion, but i KNOW this isn't the way to approach it.
    Any ideas or suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2
    No you are correct. Calculate the max ke of the electrons as you suggest.
    Then it's a case of what pd would stop electrons with this ke.
    A hint: it's exactly the opposite case of what ke electrons would gain if accelerated from rest through that pd. Same formula. Same principle. Just deceleration rather than acceleration.

4. Apr 8, 2010 #3
    hi thanks for the reply,
    when you say pd are do you mean the potential difference?

5. Apr 8, 2010 #4
    Yes, sure. Pardon my abbreviations when in a hurry!
    The potential difference you calculate in this case (deceleration rather than acceleration) is the "stopping potential" you need.

6. Apr 12, 2010 #5
    This problem seems like a trick to get you to calculate the electron energy in eV!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook