Can I Change Frequency to Increase Ejected Photoelectrons?

In summary, increasing the intensity of the electromagnetic radiation will increase the number of ejected photo-electrons, not the frequency. However, increasing the frequency can also increase the number of electrons emitted, as long as it is above the threshold frequency. The maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons can be predicted using the Work Function and can be measured in terms of stopping potential. A simple photoelectric cell is not a useful source of electrical energy, as it requires a pristine and clean surface on the photo cathode.
brainyman89
1-if we want to increase the number of ejected photo-electrons, can we change the frequency of the electromagnetic radiation?

2-if i calculated the number of the ejected photo-electrons and the kinetic energy of each electron, how could i then calculate the voltage of this photoelectric cell?

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1 -you need to increase the intensity, not the frequency. More energetic photons will increase the energy of the ejected electrons, but not the number.

what about the second question: if i calculated the number of the ejected photo-electrons and the kinetic energy of each electron, how could i then calculate the voltage of this photoelectric cell?

Actually, increasing the frequency of the incident radiation Will increase the number of electrons emitted. The threshold frequency is the frequency at which the least bound electrons are released. Many of the incident photons will not release a photoelectron but be absorbed. If you increase the frequency then a proportion of the incident photons will actually release electrons which wouldn't have been released by light with the threshold frequency. Einstein's Graph of Photon Energy vs Electron KE shows just the Maximum energy and there will be a distribution of energies up to that value.

then how could i then calculate the voltage of a photoelectric cell if i calculated the number of the ejected photo-electrons and the kinetic energy of each electron?

Not sure what you mean by that.
You can predict (assuming you have an accurate value for the Work Function) the maximum KE of photoelectrons. This is usually measured in terms of 'stopping potential', which is the (negative) potential that a nearby catcher plate needs to be given in order to stop a current flowing in the cell.
I think a simple photoelectric cell could be looked upon more as a current source, once the photoelectrons have started to be emitted, than as a voltage source. I don't think that a simple cell,based on the Einstein experiment would be a useful source of electrical energy - particularly as you need a pristine, clean surface on your Potassium Photo Cathode.

1. How does changing frequency affect the number of ejected photoelectrons?

Changing the frequency of light incident on a metal surface can indeed affect the number of ejected photoelectrons. This phenomenon is known as the photoelectric effect and is described by Einstein's equation: E = hf - Φ, where E is the kinetic energy of the ejected electron, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, and Φ is the work function of the metal. As the frequency of the incident light increases, the kinetic energy of the ejected electrons also increases, resulting in a higher number of ejected photoelectrons.

2. Can changing frequency change the speed of ejected photoelectrons?

Yes, changing the frequency of incident light can indeed change the speed of ejected photoelectrons. As mentioned before, the kinetic energy of ejected electrons depends on the frequency of the incident light. Therefore, a change in frequency will result in a change in the kinetic energy and consequently, the speed of the ejected electrons.

3. Is there an optimal frequency for maximizing the number of ejected photoelectrons?

Yes, there is an optimal frequency for maximizing the number of ejected photoelectrons. This frequency is known as the threshold frequency and is specific to each metal surface. It is the minimum frequency of the incident light required to eject electrons from the metal surface. Any frequency below this threshold will not result in the ejection of photoelectrons.

4. Can increasing the frequency of the incident light result in the ejection of more energetic photoelectrons?

Yes, increasing the frequency of the incident light can result in the ejection of more energetic photoelectrons. As the frequency increases, the kinetic energy of the ejected electrons also increases, resulting in more energetic photoelectrons. This is why higher frequency light, such as ultraviolet light, is more effective in causing the photoelectric effect than lower frequency light.

5. Does changing the frequency of incident light have any effect on the work function of the metal surface?

No, changing the frequency of incident light does not have any effect on the work function of the metal surface. The work function is a characteristic property of the metal and is not affected by the frequency of the incident light. However, changes in the work function can affect the threshold frequency required for the photoelectric effect to occur.