Photoelectric Effect Homework: Calc Max KE & Stopping Potential

In summary: Homework as the original poster did not provide the location of the problem.In summary, the problem involves calculating the maximum kinetic energy of electrons ejected by electromagnetic radiation of frequency .88x10^-15 Hz as it falls upon a surface with a work function of 2.5 eV. The calculation for part A should be Max KE = hf - work function energy in eV. For part B, the stopping potential needed to prevent any photoelectrons from reaching a nearby negative electrode is equal to the difference between the maximum kinetic energy and the work function energy. Therefore, the stopping potential cannot be 2.5 eV.
ishterz

Homework Statement

Em radiation of frequency .88X10^-15 Hz falls upon a surface of work function 2.5 eV.

A)Calculate Max KE

B) If a nearby electrode is made negative with respect to the first surface using a pd V, what value is required for V if it is to be just sufficient to stop any of the photoelectrons from reaching the negative electrode?

2. The attempt at a solution

I got part A as I did Max KE = hf + work function energy in joules = 9.81x10^-19

I'm not too sure about part b, is the stopping potential just 2.5 eV then?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I got part A as I did Max KE = hf + work function energy in joules = 9.81x10^-19

It should be hf - work function, because the ejected electrons have to climb up the potential wells of the atoms they were bound to, losing energy in the process. Also, are you sure the frequency is 0.88E-15 Hz and not 0.88E15 Hz?

I'm not too sure about part b, is the stopping potential just 2.5 eV then?

No. The stopping potential is the potential difference that the ejected electrons can go through before losing all of its kinetic energy. So, what potential difference corresponds to a potential energy difference of Max KE?

ishterz said:
See ideasrule's note about this calculation. By the way, for energies this small it is common practice to use eV for the energy units.

Moderator's note: thread moved to Introductory Physics

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This effect provides evidence for the particle nature of light and was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887.

How is the maximum kinetic energy of photoelectrons calculated?

The maximum kinetic energy of photoelectrons can be calculated using the equation KEmax = hf - φ, where h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, and φ is the work function of the material.

What is the stopping potential in the context of the photoelectric effect?

The stopping potential is the minimum potential difference that must be applied to a metal surface in order to prevent the emission of photoelectrons. It is a measure of the maximum kinetic energy of the emitted electrons.

How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the maximum kinetic energy of photoelectrons. However, it does affect the number of electrons emitted per unit time, as higher intensity light results in a higher number of collisions between photons and electrons.

What is the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the material. It is a characteristic property of each material and is dependent on factors such as the type of material and its surface properties.