Photoelectric effect

• Thread starter tomz
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everyone, a quick question on photoelectric effect.

Why measure stopping voltage by connecting a battery to the circuit and then adjust until current reach 0? Cant we just use a voltmeter?

Thank you!

Answers and Replies

In theory, you could wait until all the photo-electrons generate the voltage themself - but that would require so many photo-electrons that it is not practical. In addition, no isolation is perfect (especially with an attached voltmeter), the system would discharge itself.

In theory, you could wait until all the photo-electrons generate the voltage themself - but that would require so many photo-electrons that it is not practical. In addition, no isolation is perfect (especially with an attached voltmeter), the system would discharge itself.
Thanks. After some thinking I guess there is also the problem that not all electrons released have the theoretical maximum energy, so the potential get from a voltmeter will be biased

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks. After some thinking I guess there is also the problem that not all electrons released have the theoretical maximum energy, so the potential get from a voltmeter will be biased
The distribution in velocities will just mean that it takes longer to reach the maximum voltage - the low velocity electrons will play no part in the process once the voltage is greater than their particular stopping voltage.
Finding the value of V that will stop the current would be a more practical way, I think - which is why it's recommended.