1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric Effect

1. Dec 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    X·ray is produced when an electron is incident on a metal surface with ##2x10^8 ms^-1## velocity
    .Applying this X-ray on the surface of two metals having work function of 5 eV and 2.3eV, photoelectric effect is observed.
    e by

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##E = K_{max} + \phi##
    ##hf = \frac 1 2mv^2 + hf_o##

i got stucked here. i dont know what to do next

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2016 #2
    Your post is difficult to read, and confused. Could you more accurately produce the question as it was asked?

4. Dec 11, 2016 #3
    which part or portion is difficult to undestand ?

5. Dec 11, 2016 #4
    Well this is very interesting. I would have quoted the confused questions in the OP: the lack of a part a or b, the fact that part d was neither a sentence nor a question nor in fact an intelligible phrase, but it appears you've edited the post. Now there are no questions at all and you've pasted in a picture of your problem. Now here's the interesting part. Although better than the OP, the question as given to you is pretty confused. I presume that whoever wrote it speaks something other than English as a first language. Ok, well let's see what we can do.

From your unedited OP I presume you've answered a and b. For c you posted an energy equation which appears to be for scattering in that there is an h f0. Here there is no h f0. The electron does not necessarily have to give all of its energy to a single X-ray, but that is the most it can do, so I think that is what they want you to assume. So what is the frequency of the x-ray if all of the kinetic energy of the electron produces one x-ray photon?

The last part seems to be asking if that frequency of an X-ray can liberate an electron given the two work functions. Well, does it have enough energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted