Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectric material

1. Jul 1, 2004 #1
    What frequencies of light does photoelectric light react best to? Does it matter? How would it react to an amplified form of cosmic radiation?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2004 #2
    Photoelectric light?

The photoelectric effect (when electrons are ejected from a material) usually happens with metals using UV light. Lower (visible or IR) frequencies don't have enough energy to do this. I don't see why one would bother amplifying cosmic radiation. The UV from space is heavily absorbed by the atmosphere.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2004
  4. Aug 2, 2004 #3

Homework Helper

Please define "photoelectric light." ("photoelectric material", as the thread title suggests, perhaps?)

I believe you mean "... lower frequencies don't have enough energy ..."?
  5. Aug 2, 2004 #4
    Oh my god yes! <self-slap in the face> Edited.
  6. Jun 2, 2010 #5
    so i'm very interested in this subject and have never been on a forum, please bear with me.
    doesn't cuprous oxide produce a photoelectric effect? i was wondering what else created this effect as well... by definition a photoelectric effect doesn't only exist within metals, but also certain gasses and liquids as well... again please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?