Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoelectron spectroscopy

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    hi,

i went through some textbooks about photoelectron spectroscopy and was looking for information on how it is used to determine the structure of a surface. but they mostly focus on how it can be used to identify the identity of the sample and some of the terms in the books were too technical for me to understand. so could someone explain to me why we can use photoelectron spectroscopy eg. XPS to determine the structure of a surface and what features in the spectrum do we have to take note of?

thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you mean by "structure of a surface"? If you mean band structure, then you use ARPES. Standard XPS doesn't tell you everthing about the E vs. k band dispersion because it doesn't have refined angular information.

Zz.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    If u r looking for the topological features then u can use AFM and SEM rather than XPS. XPS is surface sensitive and the information you can get is typically the elements present, their charge state, its environment etc. Analysis of the line width can also yield information whether the material is metal, SC or insulator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook