How Many Photoelectrons Are Ejected Per Second in This Experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of photoelectrons ejected per second in an experiment represented by a graph. The person has provided links and their work so far, but their answer is way off. They believe that the kinetic energy and potential difference are directly proportional, but they need help finding the correct answer. They also mention that they are female and write in pink, and that to find the number of photoelectrons, one needs to divide the maximum current by 1.60E-19 Coulombs.
elephantorz
1. To make it easier I just scanned it

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2062/2457086181_c2a13b6077_o.jpg"

I am supposed to find how many photoelectrons are ejected per second in the experiment represented by the graph.

2. See link

3. Also see link, all of my work so far is there [not all of it, my tutor took other figurings with her, so excuse the lack of lots of writing], I figured since Kinetic energy and potential difference were directly proportional K[max] is 10eV, but as you can see my answer is way off, anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes, I am female, I write in pink =D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nm, you just have to divide max current since it's C/s by 1.60E-19 C.

Thank you for providing the graph and your work so far. It is clear that you have put effort into understanding the experiment and calculating the number of photoelectrons ejected per second. However, your answer may be off because there are a few key factors that need to be considered in this experiment.

Firstly, the number of photoelectrons ejected per second depends on the intensity of the incident light. The graph you provided does not show the intensity of the light used in the experiment, which could affect the number of photoelectrons ejected. Additionally, the work function of the material being used also plays a role in determining the number of photoelectrons ejected. The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a material.

Furthermore, the maximum kinetic energy of the photoelectrons is determined by the potential difference applied in the experiment. In your calculations, you have correctly identified that the maximum kinetic energy is 10eV, but it is important to note that this energy is only applicable to the fastest photoelectrons. There will be a range of kinetic energies for the ejected photoelectrons, with some having lower energies due to the varying work function of the material.

In order to accurately calculate the number of photoelectrons ejected per second, you will need to have more information about the experiment, such as the intensity of the light and the work function of the material. Additionally, it would be helpful to have the potential difference used in the experiment.

I hope this helps and good luck with your further calculations!

1. What are photoelectrons?

Photoelectrons are electrons that are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This phenomenon is known as the photoelectric effect.

2. How are photoelectrons produced?

Photoelectrons are produced when photons (particles of light) transfer their energy to electrons in a material, causing them to be released from the material's surface.

3. What is the significance of photoelectrons?

Photoelectrons play a crucial role in many scientific and technological applications, such as solar cells, photoelectric sensors, and photomultiplier tubes. They also provide valuable information about the properties of materials and the nature of light.

4. What factors affect the production of photoelectrons?

The production of photoelectrons is affected by the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material, such as its work function and surface characteristics.

5. How are photoelectrons detected and measured?

Photoelectrons can be detected and measured using various techniques, such as electron spectrometry and photoelectric emission microscopy. These techniques involve analyzing the energy and direction of the emitted electrons to determine their properties.