1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photoeletric effect

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When light of wavelength 450 nm is shone on potassium, photoelectrons with stopping potential of 0.52 V are emitted. If the wavelength of the incident light is changed to 300 nm, the stopping potential is 1.90 V. Using only these numbers together with the values of the speed of light and the electron charge, do the following.
    (a) Find the work function of potassium
    (b) Compute a value for Planck's constant.

2. Relevant equations
    eV[tex]_{0}[/tex]=hf-[tex]\phi[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure how to do this problem. Since they ask us to compute a value for planck's constant im not sure that we actually use the equation stated above. I assume that the work function is the same for both cases of wavelength and stopping potential, but i'm not sure what the relationship is.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

-pat

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2
    it should be V_0 not V^0, thanks.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #3
    You can start with (b) and then do (a). Have two equations of (phi) = hf - eV_o, and set them equal to each other since they each the same phi value. You should then be able to solve for h. Then plug h into one of the equations to find phi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?