Photographic Memory: What Is It Like?

• Thread starter En_lizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of photographic memory and whether it truly exists. One person believes that it is simply a matter of having better memory techniques, while another suggests testing this by generating a screen of characters to see if anyone can reproduce it. The conversation also mentions that some people are able to remember phone numbers from their childhood, but not their college numbers. It concludes by mentioning a paper that discusses the abilities associated with eidetic imagery, or photographic memory.
En_lizard
how is it like? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the phone number of the house where you grew up? Do you remember it? I remember mine, though it's been 35 years.

I don't think photographic memory is really any different than the rest of us, they just don't have any trouble recalling things.

But that's just MHO.

I don't think that people with photographic memory really exist. Rather, there are people who have more sophisticated memory techniques.

To test this, you could, for example, generate a screen of characters (80x25=2000) which are all either 1 or 0, and see if anyone can reproduce it. As the numbers become less random i.e. more compressible, you should see people able to remember better.

I remember the phone number of some of the houses that I grew up in. However, I don't remember any of my college telephone numbers.

We've already discussed this here. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=147034

I have a link to this paper in that thread.
Imagine being able to memorize an entire sheet of Russian vocabulary, a list of math equations, or the window arrangement on a large building just by observing it for a few seconds. These are the abilities associated with eidetic imagery, more commonly known as photographic memory. Eidetic imagery has been defined as "the ability to retain an accurate, detailed visual image of a complex scene or pattern... or see an image that is an exact copy of the original sensory experience" (1). People capable of eidetic memory, or eidetikers, are therefore able to recall vivid images within their mind and examine these images as one would examine a photograph.

1. What is photographic memory?

Photographic memory, also known as eidetic memory, is the ability to recall visual information in great detail after only a brief exposure to it. This means that a person with photographic memory can remember images, objects, words, or other visual stimuli with remarkable accuracy and clarity.

2. How is photographic memory different from a normal memory?

Photographic memory is often considered to be a type of visual memory, which is the ability to remember images and visual information. However, unlike a normal memory, which fades over time, photographic memory is thought to be more permanent and can be recalled with greater detail and accuracy.

3. Is photographic memory a real thing?

While there is no scientific consensus on whether or not true photographic memory exists, there have been numerous cases of individuals who have demonstrated remarkable abilities to recall visual information. However, it is important to note that these cases are rare and not everyone who claims to have photographic memory actually possesses it.

4. Can anyone develop a photographic memory?

There is currently no scientific evidence that suggests that anyone can develop a photographic memory. However, there are memory techniques and strategies that can help improve one's memory, including visualization and association techniques, which may help improve the ability to recall visual information.

5. How does photographic memory relate to intelligence?

There is no direct correlation between photographic memory and intelligence. While some individuals with photographic memory may have above-average intelligence, there are also many cases of individuals with average or below-average intelligence who possess photographic memory. Photographic memory is simply a unique ability and does not necessarily indicate a higher level of intelligence.