Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photographs that changed the world

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2
    It seems many of those are just photos of events that changed the world.

And of the photos which actually had an impact themselves, the descriptions are still of the events that the picture depicts, rather than how the picture affected the public.

4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    The one of the vulture stalking the starving child is, to me, very shocking.
    As for 911, I am so glad that a federal judge ruled that NONE of the falling victims are to be considered suicide.

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4
    Is that for insurance purposes?

Still suicide by definition, though.

6. Jun 24, 2010 #5
    The judge ruled that, for insurance purposes, "suicide" in that SPECIAL CASE does not fit an acceptable legal definition of suicide.

7. Jun 24, 2010 #6
    They should do that for all cases that are similar; like people in other burning buildings.

8. Jun 24, 2010 #7
    Uh, no they are definitely the photographs doing the work. Do you honestly think any of those events would have sent any sort of ripple around the world had they not been known? Oh right they couldn't have because they wouldn't have been known.

Photojournalist study their photographs with the UTMOST attention to detail in order to specific convey meanings and feelings. You are vastly underrating these photographs with the statement you've just made. I bet you wouldn't be able to take and distribute a picture that would be viewed worldwide sparking emotion and thoughts if I gave all the equipment to you and a disaster happened close by.

9. Jun 24, 2010 #8
  10. Jun 24, 2010 #9
    Thanks, point taken :biggrin: I concede I was quite too unappreciative of the potential of pictures

11. Jun 24, 2010 #10
    @OP, Indeed many of those pictures are quite disturbing, but something that is MORE disturbing is that many of those images have videos of the same events. It's a pretty uncomfortable feeling watching a seemingly random person be executed or falling to their death.

Here's a photojournalist who has plenty of photos that I've gone through before and thought were 'great':
    http://www.zoriah.net/blog/

12. Jun 24, 2010 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of them are stupid. First picture on the internet?

Overall very touching

13. Jun 24, 2010 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wow, I've only seen 5 of those.

Never seen the first one. Some I saw in Time/Life magazine. The youngest pregnant girl was from a medical journal from 1939, obscure, had nothing to do with anything aside from being shown as a freak picture on the internet. The first picture of the hand, never seen it before, has no meaning either outside of biology.

Ok, so these pictures were a bad choice overall, IMO. There are much more meaningful ones.

14. Jun 24, 2010 #13
    Uhmm, I'm pretty sure that the pregnant 5 year old was released publicly without the internet? Regardless I don't think the intention of it is a 'freak show'. And the one of the hand... it's not there because it's the first picture of a hand, it's the first x-ray, which is in a way a type of picture. Are you going to tell me that's not a monumental image?

15. Jun 25, 2010 #14
    So... the father raped the 5 year old girl? I noticed that where the male gamete came from wasn't mentioned. It wasn't immaculate conception.

16. Jun 25, 2010 #15
    No one knows, they believe the father raped her but there wasn't enough evidence so charges were dropped against him. The girl wouldn't say anything about what had happened.

This is one of the odd/disgusting things about this story. Most people when they hear about how young she was and pregnant find it amazing/miracle/interesting that she was only pregnant at such at young age. No one EVER (few exceptions) thinks 'why was someone having sex with a 5 year old?'

It's almost as if people find it acceptable that she got pregnant because of how interesting it is.

17. Jun 25, 2010 #16
    The answer is not known, and probably best left that way obviously.

18. Jun 25, 2010 #17
    Case and point. lol.

How can anyone think it's probably best that a child rapist of a 5 year old girl goes unknown/uncaught? By my morals and values this is definitely not something I consider.

19. Jun 25, 2010 #18
    Good post.

20. Jun 25, 2010 #19
    The article makes it sound like having sex with 5 year old kids is given; the only part that needed explaining is how it resulted in pregnancy. "Turns out she was precocious with her menstruation. So yeah, there's the answer to the one question I know you were asking in your head."

It's like if I got E. coli from eating dog poop and the only thing people want to know is why dog poop has E. coli in it; not why I'm eating dog poop in the first place.

21. Jun 25, 2010 #20
    Lol, precisely.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook