MIT Material 10x Blacker Than Any Other: 99.995% Light Absorption

In summary: So this material would be great for applications where you don't need to see the light, like in a dark room.All that energy being absorbed has to go somewhere.The foil captures at least 99.995% of incoming light, so it's absorbing a lot of the EM energy that would otherwise be radiated in the visible range.
gmalcolm77
Summary: MIT researchers have created a material that is 10x blacker than any other material ever recorded. The foil captures at least 99.995% of incoming light.

Does this mean that there is practically no EM re-radiated?

Science news on Phys.org
For a certain range of wavelengths: yes !

gmalcolm77 said:
The foil captures at least 99.995% of incoming light.

those statements need to be qualified.
As @BvU said, "for certain wavelengths, yes"
There's probably still lots of IR being radiated and that is still EM
All that energy being absorbed has to go somewhere

davenn said:
those statements need to be qualified.
As @BvU said, "for certain wavelengths, yes"
There's probably still lots of IR being radiated and that is still EM
All that energy being absorbed has to go somewhere
Yea, I figured so, otherwise it's energy would eventually be infinite. The MIT quote I believe is a bit misleading. Thanks.

gmalcolm77 said:
Yea, I figured so, otherwise it's energy would eventually be infinite. The MIT quote I believe is a bit misleading. Thanks.
I'm not sure why you aren't responding to my PM requesting that you post a link to a source to help us out, but I did the Google search and here is one such link:

http://news.mit.edu/2019/blackest-black-material-cnt-0913

berkeman said:
I'm not sure why you aren't responding to my PM requesting that you post a link to a source to help us out, but I did the Google search and here is one such link:

Haven't figured that out yet. Just a dumb old guy interested in science. Please forgive.

No worries. I only had asked in my private message to you that you post a link in your thread so everybody didn't have to go off searching on their own trying to find the original paper so that they could respond well. I did the search now and posted the link, so all is good. :smile:

gmalcolm77 said:
Summary: MIT researchers have created a material that is 10x blacker than any other material ever recorded. The foil captures at least 99.995% of incoming light.

It really means that practically none is reflected. But it would need to get pretty hot before significant levels of thermal wavelengths would be emitted in the visible range.

sophiecentaur said:
It really means that practically none is reflected. But it would need to get pretty hot before significant levels of thermal wavelengths would be emitted in the visible range.
By Kirchhoff's law, it won't emit much in the visible range in any case.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is MIT Material 10x Blacker Than Any Other?

MIT Material 10x Blacker Than Any Other is a type of material developed by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that is capable of absorbing 99.995% of light that hits its surface. This makes it the darkest material ever created, surpassing the previous record holder, Vantablack.

2. How was MIT Material 10x Blacker Than Any Other created?

The material was created by using a process called "chemical vapor deposition" to grow a layer of carbon nanotubes on a surface. The nanotubes are arranged in a specific pattern that allows them to trap and absorb almost all incoming light, making the material appear extremely dark to the human eye.

3. What are the potential applications of MIT Material 10x Blacker Than Any Other?

There are many potential applications for this material, including improving the efficiency of solar panels and telescopes, creating more accurate light sensors, and even developing stealth technology for military use. It could also be used in the production of black clothing or coatings for electronic devices to reduce glare and reflection.

4. Is MIT Material 10x Blacker Than Any Other safe?

Yes, the material is safe for use in various applications. The carbon nanotubes used in its creation are non-toxic and do not pose any health risks. However, the manufacturing process may involve chemicals that could be harmful, so proper safety precautions should be taken.

5. Can the darkness of MIT Material 10x Blacker Than Any Other be reproduced?

Yes, the material can be reproduced, but it requires a specific and precise process to create the carbon nanotube layer. This means that it may not be easily replicated by other researchers or manufacturers. Additionally, the material's darkness may degrade over time, so it may need to be replaced or re-coated periodically to maintain its properties.